1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Pekin girl died >_<

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cmart009, Sep 5, 2010.

1. cmart009

cmart009 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    A few days ago, I made a topic about how my one Pekin girl, Biscuit, was acting strange. She kept to herself, was sitting down constantly, and wasn't as chipper as she always was.

We found the cause.

Last night before they were put to bed, we found her sitting in the pet carrier used for our call ducks. Back behind her was a DSi (A handheld gaming system) stylus, roughly the size of a 4 inch nail, covered in her crap. It didn't take long to see what she had eaten to cause her distress. We thought that since it was out now, she would be fine.

We were mistaken. This morning, she did come out with the rest of the flock when it was time, but she still kept to herself. I thought maybe she was still feeling a bit ill, so I let her go for the time being. I fell asleep this morning, until this afternoon...and when I came out to check on them, she was dead in her favorite spot, in the basement window well.

I know I'm new to BYC Forums, but I just thought I'd pass this on. Rest in peace, Biscuit. We will forever miss you.

(P.S. We don't have a vet within 50 miles that can look at poultry, or ducks, for that matter. I've looked and asked around, but have yet to find anyone. If by some odd chance anyone knows of a vet that can look at ducks that is near the Goshen, IN area, please let me know).

2. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Oh, I'm so sorry! Poor Biscuit. [​IMG]

Now I'm paranoid - my younger sisters have lost about 4 Nintendo DS styluses! [​IMG]

3. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Oh, I'm so sorry about your Biscuit! How sad... [​IMG] I wonder if the stylus caused internal bleeding or something like that. Regardless, it sounds like it's unlikely you could have saved her. Sending you hugs and good wishes. [​IMG]

4. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Ohhh... Rest in peace Biscuit. [​IMG] Somone needs a hug [​IMG]

5. cmart009

cmart009 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Thank you all for the support. I hope no one else has to face the horrible consequences of DS styluses.

Biscuit was one year old this past July. In April of last year, I mentioned to my grandfather about wanting a duckling as a pet. I thought it fell on deaf ears, as he just laughed at my question. On the first of July, though, I was taken aback when he brought two little yellow puffballs home: Two day old Pekin ducklings.

We named them Biscuit and Gravy. Within a few minutes, they had taken to us, peeping happily as they contently ate out of our hands, and fell asleep in our laps. I spent many hours with them each day, and they grew bigger and bigger as time passed. In mid-August, I moved them to an outside house, where they spent their days. Those two followed me everywhere, even into the house. Biscuit was the only one that would ever let me pick her up from the front: With my hands on her belly, and my pinky and ring fingers around her legs, she enjoyed it. She was the friendliest duck we had; Never running away when I came near, but looking up in curiosity at what prospect my presence meant.

I'm in tears as I write this ;.;

All in all, she was a very sweet duck. One of the two that were my first pets...and it's sad that she left so early in her life, but she's in a better place now, with no pain.

6. Broodica

Broodica Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    [​IMG] I am sooooooo sorry.....[​IMG]

7. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    very sad [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  8. FunnyBunnies12

FunnyBunnies12 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so very sorry! I'm surprised a duck can eat that kind of thing. It's hard to know, they hide their illnesses so well until it's to late. RIP Biscuit! I hope Gravy is ok.

9. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Aww....I'm so sorry that happened. [​IMG]

10. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    So soory to hear of your loss...It is amazing what they will find to eat- and even the things you wouldnt imagine. I am constantly on the look out for things in the yard they may try to eat and shouldnt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by