My pekin is eating chicken eggs

zanelee

Chirping
13 Years
Jul 10, 2010
Deep in the heart of Texas
When it rains it pours. Our female pekin has started eating chicken eggs. She doesn't seem to eat any of the duck eggs. The only evidence I have is she has yolk all over her head and neck, and I did see her gobble down a shell one time.
She is housed with our female muscovy and 3 female chickens. They are locked up for safety overnight, and let out to free-range our yard during the day.
I wondered why our egg count had gotten lower. I just assumed that the girls had slacked off due to the cooler temps and shorter days.
Anything I can do to stop her?
Thanks!

She could be after some extra calcium in the form of the shells, Do you put out oyster shell for them? When I steam my ducks and chickens eggs i just toss the shells out on the compost pile and my ducks/chickens scarf them up super fast, but I'd still raise the nest boxes up where she doesn't have access to the just laid eggs.

She could be after some extra calcium in the form of the shells, Do you put out oyster shell for them? When I steam my ducks and chickens eggs i just toss the shells out on the compost pile and my ducks/chickens scarf them up super fast, but I'd still raise the nest boxes up where she doesn't have access to the just laid eggs.
x2. And get yourself some fake eggs. Hard fake eggs. They get deter'd by not being able to peck through them. I've done this ina few chicken coops and it helps.

Back
Top Bottom