My Pekin isn't laying eggs

Wetzlersmith

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 10, 2013
My Pekin is 2 1/2 and has been an excellent egg layer,5 or so a week since she started. I seem to recall that MAYBE in the summer months (we live in AZ so it's HOT) she may have stopped laying but I'm not completely sure. That being said, this past summer we had a bout of bumble foot that I brought her inside for a few weeks to treat, June/July is when this took place. This kept her away from her drake and the egg laying stopped. Ok I figure she was not pleased by this. She then molted, ok that makes sense too, but now we are into October and still NO eggs. Should I be worried? I tried to feel her pelvis for an egg if she were perhaps egg bound but I don't think I felt anything. She acts like she's happy and fine. I just don't want something to happen becuase I'm not acting on this issue. Anyone have any ideas?

With the days getting shorter, she may not begin laying until Spring. Have you felt her pelvis? Does is feel like it is two fingers wide - or closer to four? If she is getting the proper nutrition, and feels happy and protected, it is probably just a matter of waiting for her body to be ready. Offer healthy treats and oyster shells. Is she getting supplemental light at night? A laying duck will need at least 14 hours of light a day to stimulate her full laying potential. Maybe she needs the winter off to completely recuperate. I would just keep an eye on her for a bit. Trust that her body knows what it is doing. Look for any sign she isn't feeling well, you seem like you are pretty good at watching for problems. keep up the good work!

I will have to feel it again to pay attention to the size. They eat flockraiser and then veggies, chicken scratch, meal worm, koi pellets. I give them oyster shell too. No light at night. She is wandering around "talking", hanging with her drake, swimming, and letting him mate so she seems fine otherwise. Would you be able to feel an egg if she were egg bound? Would she be acting sickly? Maybe you are right, maybe she just needs more time. Thanks for the help. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom