My Peking duck has a blueberry lodged in her throat. Help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ProudMom, Feb 21, 2015.

1. ProudMom

ProudMom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2014
    We're not sure what to do about it. She is breathing fine, but seems to have a little trouble drinking water. She doesn't seem to be in any real distress. We were feeding her some blueberries, and it happened then. She scared us for a while because she clearly seemed to be choking. Then it got a much better. she only seems to be choking now when she drinks. We took away her food bowl because we don't want anything else to get caught, but we also think something needs to unlodge it. We see a lump on the side of her throat. My son wedged her mouth open and said he sees it in the back of her throat. What should we do? Please help!

2. poult

poult Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Cabin In The Woods
    I never take any of my birds to the vet but in this case I would.I am not sure how to help with that but taking her to the vet is not a bad idea & or at least call them if they are decent people maybe they will give you some advice.I am not sure though we called for our sick rooster at the regular vet & they said they most likely can't do anything for him but to bring him anyways which pretty much meant come spend a $100 for nothing.

3. nikki1496

nikki1496 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    that happened with one of my chickens before and i was able to reach the berry and just grab it. idk if you can do that with ducks though

4. poult

Dec 15, 2014
    Cabin In The Woods
    maybe if it's not too far back?

5. nikki1496

nikki1496 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    it all depends on where in his throat it is

6. poult