My Peking duck is vomiting

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by troedels, Feb 23, 2013.

1. troedels

troedels Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2013
    2 months ago a duck arrived and she is still with us, we started feeding her although just love the fact that she attacks snails etc in our herb garden. She is now double the size, we feed her crushed maize. Just now she vomited and her chest seem to be swollen? I am concerned

2. chews chooks

chews chooks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2012
    northhampton
    one word VET take her to a poultry vet please post back what the problem was/ is hope she gets better soon. snails carry lung worms maybe like when dogs eat snails they sometimes get lung worm atleast i think thats what it is just a sugestion

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Just plain ole crushed corn is not a balanced diet for ducks. they need a feed especially made for them although they can also eat chicken feed too, All flock is best since it's made for all flocks. She may have an impacted crop. Never heard of ducks getting lung worms but they maybe be able to get them. If you suspect worms, Epernix Pour on will take care of parasites you use it like front line for dogs [drops on the back of the neck] but if it;s a impacted crop then you'll need to work with her to move this mess out of her crop, this is just one of the link i found when googling about impacted crops, http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/ImpactedCrop_OldWay.html

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Good advice so far, I would bring her in somewhere clean and cozy where I could watch her closely. I would give her a lukewarm bath deep enough to float in, since that helps me really take a good look at a duck. When Romy is not feeling well, at first she will just float, stationary, silently. As she begins to feel better, she will begin to paddle and occasionally make a quiet sound. When she is much better, she is paddling, wakking, and splashing.

So something nasty could have been eaten, there could be some impaction (some ducks will eat strings and such, which stop them up, and that can be serious)... There is the possibility, perhaps of worms, another serious thing.

In any case, I would give vitamins with electrolytes and especially probiotics in water while sorting out what next, looking for a vet or such. A higher quality feed would be helpful to her also, now and long-term.

Thank you for sharing your concern with us on the Duck Forum, please keep us posted.

5. troedels

Feb 4, 2013
    Thank you very much, Molly is much better today, Hopefully her vomiting did the trick, I will watch het closely

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  6. troedels

Feb 4, 2013

7. troedels

Feb 4, 2013
    Thank you very much, I will call around looking for All Flocks, Molly is not so tame that I can pick her up though, but I am delighted to report that she seems much better this morning, hopefully a change of food will do the trick

8. troedels

Feb 4, 2013
    Thank you, Molly seems much better this morning, I will look into All Flocks as alternative food, Molly is not tame enough for me to pick her up ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by