My Pekins are hatching. What do I need to prepare? (Updated)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by khs2424, Jul 10, 2011.

1. khs2424

khs2424 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    I'm really excited about my Pekins hatching this week. Only a few things I'm not sure of to do to prepare for their arrival.

1. I am assuming I need to prepare a brood area for them.

2. What do I need to feed them for the first few weeks?

3. How old do they need to be before I let them out into the pond?

4. What should I feed them once they are out on the pond?

5. Any other information I made need to know about my future friends.

Thanks guys and girls! I'm excited!!!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  2. AnDrEw&Cole

AnDrEw&Cole Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Once they hatch if you can get some grow-gel that will be great because when they babies hatch they will be tired from the workout Grow-gell is a mixture of nutrients and vitamins to help your baby get on track, once you have grow gell but if you don't that will be fine just get them some non-medicated starter chick food if you get grow-gel put it on the food after you mix it with water make sure you have a brooder lamp place one side of you structure or coop so if the babys get cold they can go down there and if they get too hott they can go to the other end in about 3 months old you can release them too the pond then once you get them in the pond cracked corn will be neccesary or bread to feed them seeing that they will also eat insects and other critters around the pondyou can also buy nutrient packs at local retailer stores you mix with water and it gives them nutreints once there born or if there sick [​IMG] hoped this helped and i hope your new borns turn out like there mom and dad [​IMG] good luck

15, Chickens, 2 White pekin ducks, 2 mallards, 1 Black Swedish

3. khs2424

May 24, 2011
    Thanks A&C. Where can I get GrowGell? I have a co-op and a Tractor Supply nearby so maybe there?

Anyone else got any advice?

4. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Grow gel is used mainly in shipping ducklings. You will be fine with just non-medicated chick starter (20% protien) They can stay on that for the first month and then be switched to a flock raiser usually 16-18% protien. I use my bathtub for a brooder lol. I lay down old towels and they have a chick waterer and feeder. Most people use other types of beding like shavings and not their bathtubs [​IMG] Once they are about a week old you can start introducing them to swiming water. Only a few inches deep. Ducklings can drown very easy so they should always be supervised while swimming untill feathered. If you are keeping them in a brooder a heat light will be nessicary for a little while. Like 90 degrees to start out at and decrease by 5 every week. Also niacin. You can buy vitamin packs that mix in with their water or brewers yeast you can put on their food. It will help with their legs developing. Once they are fully feathered they should be fine to go out on to your pond and you can continue to give them flock raiser once they are out their to but they will probably be foraging for most of their food.

Good luck [​IMG]

5. khs2424

May 24, 2011
    Thanks! They started pipping this morning!

6. khs2424

May 24, 2011
    First one hatched!!!!![​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, how long before I move him/her to the brooder?

Also, he's moving around like crazy and turning the other eggs around. What do I do?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  7. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Congrats! After he has dried and fluffed out you can move him to your brooder. Give him a stuffed animal and a mirror so he is not lonley until the others start to hatch. With him making noise it should encourage the others to start hatching.

8. khs2424

May 24, 2011
    4 out of 6 so far!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by