My Pekins are pigs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by IcarusSomnio, Sep 20, 2010.

1. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    Seriously!

I feed once per day, 3lbs of feed for the flock. I came out a little later with an extra pound to lure a few chickens over for taming purposes. The Pekins waddled right in and started chowing down. Their chests where already so big they where barely an inch off the ground! I mean jeez! They get grain AND forage all day long, then their still hungry. Oi oi oi.

I have a pair, male and female, still no eggs from 'em. Last night I found them sitting in the pond at 10PM. Turns out the house is getting a little crowded, so I had to move out four pullets and shoo the two love birds back inside.

I love my Pekin's dearly, and their not going anywhere, but I had no idea that so much food could fit into such a small duck! [​IMG]

2. foxhomechickens

foxhomechickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    Ducks sure can put away some feed and make a big mess in the process:rolleyes:

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I measure out the amount of feed mine get or they will turn into porkers. They are like some dogs that just wont stop eating and have no clue when they are full. It rained here on Saturday night and on Sunday they were out gulping the biggest worms you have ever seen. Those lazy ducks thought the parking lot was greatest invention and the worms were just laying there waiting to be slurped up. They looked so fat, dump, and happy after they were done. Forgot to mention that my drake ran around with I would say a 10" worm hanging half out of mouth. Way to funny and no camera on hand, bummer! Later that day they all went mudding and might as well could have just rolled in the mud.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by