My pekins layed their first egg!! Pls help!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 9farmgirl9, Aug 1, 2011.

1. 9farmgirl9

9farmgirl9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    Ok i do have chickens, guineas, and peafowl but this is def. a duck egg. But they are just almost 4 months! i have seen them mating and i want to hatch it or try. I have def 2 female and a male but one has an injury and ehter male or female wood be useless, it walks on one leg. But i am terribl at incubating so i have 8 guinea hens on nest could i put the egg under them? Which the guineas kill there babies so a day b4 any of the babies hatch i put them in the incubator. Could i do this with the baby duck egg???

2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    That sounds like a lot of work; why not use a good Silkie hen and or some other chicken breed known for going broody and good mothering. That way you don’t have to deal with your guinea hens wanting to kill the babies, plus I think you are not supposed to move eggs right before or during hatching b/c it is the “lockdown period” of incubation, a very important time, but if you have done it before with other eggs it may work with the duck egg, but if it is the first egg laid it may not even hatch most young birds eggs have a low hatch rate (at least I heard that somewhere). But hey why not try

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  3. 9farmgirl9

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    i do have silkies but they are they same age as my ducks and haven't started laying yet, which i think there not going to be good mamas anyway--they actucally killed two baby guineas. But tonight ill put it under a guinea hen and see how long does it take for a duck egg to hatch i no musovies is 35 days, chicken 21, abd peafowl and guineas 28 but how long for a duck. And i have to do this with every broody hen i have and i have always had 100% hatch so ill let you know how it goes.

4. 9farmgirl9

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    How log does it take for duck eggs to hatch???

5. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

Quote:about 28 days

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by