My Penkin may sit, should I let her.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Angsminizoo, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Angsminizoo

Angsminizoo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Meade Co. Ky.
    I have always heard that Penkins won't sit on their nest, but one of my girls may. Problem is they run my back yard all day and are only in their coop at night. I have to close the door to their coop during the day to keep my dogs out, who egg their food, eggs and other grossness [​IMG]. However, I have one girl who sits on the nest, which has become a dropping spot for all three girl's eggs, throughout the whole night. She also "yells" at me when I go to collect eggs and then searches frantically for them. I feel kind of bad for her but I don't know if locking her in the coop alone all day would be good either. I have never even thought of letting one hatch their own. Any suggestions and advice if I do lock her up and let her sit, like extra food that she may miss out on from not rutting through the grass all day?

2. knightie

knightie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    If it were me, I'd put an Xpen up to give her room to get out a little if she wants and keep the dogs out. (Plus gives her light and fresh air.) I know not everyone has an xpen (also called Exercise Pens, they are made for dogs) but you might be able to make something up, of check craigslist, etc. Just an idea, I'm new to Ducks <mine are all just a month or so old.>

3. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

knightie has a good idea. I don't think you'd want her broody poos in the coop, not to mention having to keep both her food and water in there too.

4. agregg15

agregg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    I heard Pekins are bad mothers and will abandon their nest or accidental kill/abandon their ducklings. Then again all ducks are different, but I personally wouldn't take any chances.

5. Lute

Lute Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Socorro, NM
    I heard Pekins are bad mothers and seem to have ADD when it comes to sitting as well. They lose interest after a while and abandon the nest. Mine hasn't laid enough eggs to be broody and with any luck she won't. Maybe a more experienced Pekin owner can help out? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by