My Pet Chicken- Good/Bad?

FamilyOfChickens

Songster
12 Years
Mar 24, 2007
Northwest Indiana
I was looking at this site the other day, and it looks like they have some interesting breeds. Since we have 20 odd birds already, we want just 10 or 15, and an interesting variety. If this isn't a good one to order from, what's a good one?

We've ordered from our feed store, and they get them from Mt. Healthy, which was fine, but they don't have the kinds we want.

I've also heard a lot of good about McMurray.

idunno.gif

EDIT: By the way, we probably want two or three partridge Silkie hens to set on our eggs and a few others...not sure what. All pullets, though.

Last edited:
I ordered my five chicks from MPC. They are eight weeks old ow and were very healthy when they arrived. The only thing is the $25 heating pad they send with the chicks - kind of pricey but worth it I think. I would order from them again.

I received my chicks last week and they are so healthy.
I bought 14 and still had to buy a less expensive heating element but couldn't find it.

They are thriving so well. They come running when one of us says "here chick, chick, chick and if you don't have anything in your hand they will attack your hand.

Customer service was wonderful

I hear some people talk about them adding some extras just in case but I didn't get any.

I would order again.

jackie

If you are willing to fork over the 25 bucks for a heat pack, go for it. I haven't heard much bad about them. Personally I would order the extra 10 you didn't need and just sell them. It would probably cost less, you could make some of that expenditure back, and best of all, keep the ones you want and not worry about not having enough hens if they turn out to be roosters.

I have 6 chickens, all of them came from privett via a feed store.
I cant say anything about the quality of mypetchicken's Chickens, but what I can say is this: I called them to get information about thier website and chicken breeds to help out a person on this board.
The quality of their customer service was excellent.
They knew that I had Not ordered any chickens from them and were still very helpful in answering the questions I had.

I also called Privett to ask them to help me identify the difference between a golden laced wyandotte, VS an EE that came from their hatchery and were mixed together at a feed store.
They flat out refused to give me any information that might help and instead suggested that i get the feed store to reorder the two breeds and not mix them up.

As a side note, the feed store in question may have made a mistake when they mixed the two breeds but they were kind enough to order them at my suggestion so they did have good customer service anyway.

I digress, sorry
big_smile.png

Basic point is, for customer service, my limited experience with mpc has been good.
GL
Also: I should mention: all my chicks have been healthy.
So if you end up dealing with a feed store that gets chicks from privett, I could recomend them.

Last edited:
I ordered from them once. The only problem I had is they did not keep the postal tracking # and the post office lost my chicks. MPC customer service was just going to refund me and let the babies die in the postal system. I ended up finding them--had to go to the airport at about 1am to pick them up from the postal warehouse once they finally located them. One of the chicks had died, and no questions asked MPC refunded me for that one. The chicks were pet quality, rather than show quality...one had pasty butt, which I dealt with, but all in all it was a good experience. To get a 100% from me, they should have emailed me the tracking number and attached it to my order in some way so I wouldn't have had to make 30+ calls to the post office.

We received our chicks from My Pet Chicken 3 weeks ago. Customer service was fantastic, and she asked me if they could put in an extra chick "just in case" (I was only ordering 3); she allowed me to pick the breed of the extra chick, and it was supposed to be female, too. All of the chicks have been in excellent health (knock on wood). BTW, we did wind up with FIVE chicks, though, and it does look like at least one will be a roo.

Granted, the $25 is very pricey for the little heat pack they put in there. But, I'd have spent far more ordering the 25 minimum someplace else, not to mention feeding them and then trying to find them homes. Nope, was definitely worth spending the extra to get exactly what I wanted without the added hassle.

I would certainly order from them again and highly recommend them to anyone, particularly those considering small orders.

expensive - make mistakes, but great customer service that fixes the mistakes, thier sending 7 austrolops for free (free shipping, free everything) for messing up our order.

I see it's been quite a while since this thread began. My experience with My Pet Chicken has be so-so. They are helpful for placing orders but after that I have had irritated, impatient employees on the phone. They did not refund for clear eggs from one order. We have had 20% of our chick order die in the first 48 hours. While we are receiving a refund for those particular chicks, I was given the 4th degree in questioning first. Example: "the chicks need a heat lamp, are you using a heat lamp?". Really?! Of course we are using a heat lamp! Sometimes chicks die after a stressful trip. We have never had a fatality until ordering from My Pet Chicken, however I know they do happen with shipped chicks.

I will order from elsewhere in the future. I expect excellant customer service 100% of the time.

I will add to this, I am a first time chicken buyer (tho my grandfather was a chicken farmer). Ordered 10, they shipped monday pm and I picked them up Tues at 11 am, I am in CT..FAST delivery! The customer service was excellent. I called the day of shipping and they were very helpful tracking my order for me.

One chick did come pretty out of it when I received them, they again, were very helpful in giving me advice/suggestions, unfortunately that chick didn't make it and they gave me an immediate refund no questions asked.

With that, my 5 day old chickies are very healthy, happy , no pasty butts, I would order from them again no problem. The shipping charge is rather high but I didn't mind at all considering the fast and good service I got.
Diane

Back
Top Bottom