My Pet Chicken order

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by BJ, Aug 5, 2008.

1. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    Just a plug for My Pet Chicken. I received a phone call and an email on Wednesday (last week) that my order would arrive this week (I placed my order just 1 week prior.) I was told the order would ship out on Monday and would arrive anytime from Tuesday through Thursday. I was informed not to contact them until Thursday if the order had not arrived by then.

Well...my 6 chicks arrived TODAY (Tuesday)...only 1 day after shipping. I had been so worried because of the heat wave we are having, but the chicks are all healthy and strong.

I am still worried about the sexing, since only 8 weeks ago my pullet order (from a different hatchery) turned out the be 100% roosters and I had to get rid of every last one of them. I think I am scarred for life from that ordeal!!

I ordered 6 buff orpington pullets...hopefully they will ALL turn out to be pullets.

So far, I am VERY HAPPY with how things have worked out with My Pet Chicken!! [​IMG][​IMG]

Edited to add that I'm almost positive that the order was filled by Meyer Hatchery.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Glad to hear that they all arrived safe and sound and only in one day! That was a relief I'm sure. Hopefully the sexing mistake won't happen this time around. [​IMG] My nephew had that happen to him on his first chicken order also. Not fun! I hope that the hatchery you ordered from refunded your money. Most of them have a 90% accuracy guarantee.

3. BJ

Mar 20, 2007
    Yes, I did get the money I PAID TO THE HATCHERY refunded...but you know how the $$ add up after 8 weeks of heat lamps, food, wood shavings and TLC...not to mention the gas I paid to drive 125 miles to pick them up. That was a really disappointing experience, but the hatchery did refund me.

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm glad that they refunded your money, but I do understand the frustration after the TLC and boarding costs. I got 12 straight run at Easter time and 8 ended up being cockerels, so I do understand the TLC and boarding issue. Thank heavens I ended up with at least 4 pullets though! My fingers are crossed for you that these buff's will all be pullets! [​IMG]

5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Don't try to save money by buying straight run instead of all pullets. All those extra roos go somewhere you know and most often they tip the percentage rate in SR shipments

6. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    100% roosters? That would scar me for life too!

I was shocked, I received 31 birds from Murray McMurray, all straight run. I ended up with 17 pullets and 14 roosters! I got lucky on that one.

7. Shannonwbl

Shannonwbl Chillin' With My Peeps

I ordered 6 sexed chicks from My Pet Chicken about 5 months ago. I actually received 7 chicks (they told me that sometimes happens)! We had to "eliminate" one because she injured herself a month later, but all 6 of our others are all hens and have started laying. I highly recommend My Pet Chicken them. We were complete novices and they gave great advice and they were great to work with! ***** (five stars)

8. BJ

Mar 20, 2007
    Quote:THANKS GUMPSGIRL!!

9. Rabid Vulture

Rabid Vulture Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Sherwood, Oregon
    You could always eat the roosters! [​IMG] Then you get some of your money back for the TLC, lol.

Some breeds are also easier to sex than others. Like my faverolles are born with different wing feathers for each sex, and my welsummers have different stripes.

10. palabeco

palabeco Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    S.W. PA
    Thats great. I ordered a variety of 11 pullets and only ended up with 1 roo. So MPC has a good sexing record.
    They also will reimburse for roos, if you get less than 90% pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by