My pet chicken, Penny

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Aspen47591, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Aspen47591

Aspen47591 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2008
    Soo, when we got our first chickens in April this year, we just fell in love. Hub decided a couple of month later he wanted some easter eggers, sooo...when we saw Auracana chicks at a farm auction, he bid and won.

Long story short, we moved the little ones to the coop but kept them separate. Penny somehow got in the with big girls and was pecked bloody. We moved her inside to our "infirmary", which is in the master bath. She healed up and we put her back with her clutch-mates. I guess enough time had passed and they shunned her. She was scared to death and it broke my heart. I was ready to move her back inside when she ended up with the big girls again and was injured by all those beaks. I was afraid she wouldn't survive that time. We moved her back in with us and here she stays.

I am such a sap!

Anyway, she just loves us. I take her outside and she follows me everywhere. She loves to cuddle. I love to hear her sweet trilling sounds when she is content, which is most of the time.

She has healed well and is growing feathers. I can't believe I have a chicken in the house.

But I love it!

2. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    I'm glad she's happy.

We're in the process of moving 14 7 week olds in with 27 chickens, 7 turkeys, and 3 geese (all 21 weeks). We're trying to do it slowly, letting the little ones out of the cages only when we're down there. I hope we don't end up in the same situation as Penny. I don't think my dogs and cats would like a chicken in the house!!

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    awww!..my favorite girl is named Penny also!!..[​IMG]..your a good mommy!..[​IMG]

4. 12 Acres

12 Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Oak Harbor, OH
    We have a Penny too, a Buff Orp. She's a bit ornery and loves to peck me when I'm not looking! [​IMG]

5. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    we have a penny too [​IMG] a EE

[​IMG]

6. Aspen47591

Aspen47591 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2008
    Your Penny is so pretty! I would love to able to integrate our girl with the other chickens, but I am not sure how to do so. She has been through so much already and is such a fighter!

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I had a Penny too...Miss MoneyPenny.
    [​IMG]
    So where's YOUR Penny pic, Aspen?

8. cmcgoun

cmcgoun Chillin' With My Peeps

Good lord Justino that has to be the prettiest EE I have ever seen!

9. Abriana

Abriana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2017
    From my blue coop
    I would love to have a chicken in the house

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by