My Pet Chicken says they will sex bantams...

I shared an order with my friend from MPC in May, 2012. I got 8 bantams of various breeds, and my friend got 4 bantams and 2 large fowl welsummers. ALL 14 BIRDS ARE FEMALE!! 100% accuracy - I am shocked. I actually wanted a rooster but did not order one, because I figured they'd make at least one mistake. Also, birds arrived within 24 hours, all very healthy. Will definitely order from them again. I wish they had a larger selection of bantam breeds.

I ordered 2 Belgian DAnvers, 2 Silkies, 2 Silver Sebrights and 2 Easter Eggers and they were 100% on the right sex. All are happy and healthy!

I live across the country from the hatchery, but I ordered from them because they offered sexed bantams and a small minimum order. I wanted bantams for my urban pet flock. However, based on my experience below, I will probably not order from someone so far away again. And given all the people locally who are breeding chickens, I probably won't order from a hatchery again.

My first order of five bantams from MyPetChicken.com in April 2013 was three female easter egger bantams and two female buff brahma bantams. Two EE bantams were dead on arrival, after a day delay at some post office sorting facility. The third EE bantam died a day after arrival. Because I lost more than half my order, they would do a replacement shipment (pay for shipping and refund for lost birds). After much miscommunication/lack-of-communication on their part, and frustration on my part, a second shipment was re-scheduled, when I could actually receive it.

The replacement order of five bantams in May 2013 was three female easter egger bantams, one female black frizzle cochin bantam, and one female mille fleur d'uccle bantam. I knew I needed a minimum of five bantams in the shipment, so ordered the cochin bantam and d'uccle bantam, which were available that week. They all arrived, prior to me receiving a shipping confirmation from MPC. The d'uccle bantam died within a day or two. They refunded for the chick.

When the frizzle cochin bantam was about 2-3 weeks old, it started showing a crooked beak. By about 5 weeks, it had developed into a crossbeak. MPC did refund for that chick, and offered some advice. I will be periodically filing the beak and offering a deep dish of food. So far, it is growing at the same rate as the others the same age.

At 14 weeks, the two brahma bantams both appear to be female. At 10 weeks, the three easter egger bantams seem to look female. I can't quite tell about the frizzle cochin bantam at 10 weeks, with the curly feathers, but does not have a significantly red or large comb and wattles yet, so maybe female.

I ordered a bunch from them with excellence results! They are all still alive and have been pretty healthy. The only thing I don't like, Is they don't have much variety

Back
Top Bottom