My Pet Chicken? What do you think??? PICS PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by rilly10, May 27, 2010.

1. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    Hi everyone!

I am thinking about placing my first ever chick order! I was thinking about my pet chicken. What do you all think? I have seen good reviews on their customer service, but what about the actual birds? If you have some from them would you please post pics?

I am thinking of ordering silkies, polish, sultans, sussex, and delaware, but after pics I bet I will add to the list!!!!

Thanks in advance!

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    My Pet Chicken is a reputable company with good customer service and nice pet quality birds. They don't breed their own birds, they get them from the same chick sources as the major hatchery companies.

3. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Quote:do they get the eggs from the other hatcheries and then hatch those and sell the chicks?

4. AZKat

AZKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    My Pet Chicken rents incubator space from Meyer. Its been reported here that Meyer doesn't have their breeding stock on-site, but instead has flocks all around the area, and at least occasionally buys from local breeders. MPC has some of their own flocks, and also uses some of the same sources as Meyer, although I haven't seen anything on what breeds come from where. Whenever I've had a question, MPC has had good customer service, so you might call them and ask.

As far as the birds go, the ones i got from them aren't show quality, but they are identifiable as the breed they are supposed to be, and they lay lots of yummy eggs.

5. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    Thanks so much for all of your help! I wonder if they are getting their eggs mostly from Meyers if I should just order directally from the source? Do they have as good of a reputation for their customer service though? Or...would the chicks really be shipping from them direct anyway and MPC is only a different face/nicer website? Meyers direct would have a much better selection too and I think they can still do a small min and sex every type of chick?

THANKS AGAIN!!!

6. Nevada Desert Chick

Nevada Desert Chick Out Of The Brooder

My MPC Red Stars were shipped Wednesday and arrived 6:00 a.m. today. [​IMG] I was expecting some of chicks to be lethargic or have pasty butt after their long journey but that wasn't the case--- All 8 chicks were very alert and clean. Immediately after filling up on water and food, they began preening and exploring.

I would not hesitate ordering from MPC again! [​IMG]

7. AZKat

AZKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Meyer doesn't offer sexed bantams, and I think that there are some varieties that MPC offers that Meyer doesn't and vice versa. I ordered meaties from Meyer and was pleased with the customer service, although my chicks won't be arriving for a bit.

8. suzyq53511

suzyq53511 Drowning in Chickens!

Apr 30, 2010
    Beloit
    I have had 3 orders for mpc and they have been awesome!!!!
    Heres some chicks from mpc
    [​IMG]
    the ee the big one
    [​IMG]
    the australop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Campine Lover

Campine Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Moss Beach, CA
    I got a great, even show quality, Black Sumatra. Here she is (I also got a great Campine and Polish)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. applefalls

applefalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Cockeysville, MD
    I ordered last year from MPC and had a wonderful experience with the customer service, the delivery, and the chickens. I got two chickens each of four varieties and all were healthy and beautiful (and still are!).[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by