My Pet Chicken

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by My chicken is cuter, Feb 19, 2009.

1. My chicken is cuter

My chicken is cuter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    People keep saying that it's expensive to buy chicks from My Pet Chicken. About how expensive is it ?

2. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    They won't release price lists until the 23rd, next Monday. Last year they were charging an extra $7 to sex bantams. Since they are the ONLY place that offers sexed bantams people are willing to pay the premium for that service.

3. BrackenFarms

BrackenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    everytime i go to their website it says day old baby chicks not available... so thats not expensive at all hahahaha

4. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    The chicks themselves aren't that expensive. The shipping is what gets you. I added it up last year, for four chicks is was going to be like $40-$50. Chances are that this year it is going to be more expensive.

5. BrackenFarms

Dec 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    just go with mcmurray and get 25 chicks :-D

6. My chicken is cuter

Jan 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Oh! Wow I'm not ordering from them.

7. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Wait until Monday when their prices go up and see how much it would cost for the qty you want.

8. My chicken is cuter

Jan 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Quote:The problem with all the other hatcheries is that I only want a maximum of 4. Since My pet Chicken is so expensive I was going to order from Ideal, but the breeds that I want " Aren't available at this time"

9. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    But . . . isn't that $40 shipping charge covering some special way of shipping them that allows a small number of chicks to survive shipping without being packed with living, breathing, unwanted "popcorn" chicks? So if you order 25 chicks to avoid high shipping, knowing that you're going to have more chicks than you really want or need, where's the savings? If I really only wanted 4 chicks it seems more humane to pay to ship those 4 chicks, safely, than to waste an extra 21 chicks to save on shipping. Just my two cents.

10. BrackenFarms

Dec 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    shoot seel those jokers at the flea market for triple the cost haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by