My Pet Chicken

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chixrus, Mar 20, 2009.

1. chixrus

chixrus Songster

Oct 24, 2008
    Hi everyone! I just ordered my chicks (what a hassle) from Welp Hatchery, but i had to order 25. The only hatchery i could find that you could order fewer chicks was my pet chicken. do they have good chicks?

2. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Songster

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    I have wondered that myself

3. crzychicken

crzychicken Songster

Jun 24, 2008
    That's where i got my flock they are very healthy I've had No issues great layers i got 24 hens and only 1 ended up a roo he is a silkie.I did order from them this year also. I'm Very happy with MPC [​IMG]
    Good Luck with your new chicks [​IMG]

4. skav2407

skav2407 In the Brooder

Feb 23, 2009
    Wakefield, RI
    I got mine from Cackle Hatchery. Very happy with the chicks and their minimum was 15. I got 5 RIR, 5 Polish and 5 Silkie. They shipped and extra Silkie though. They all survived the trip but I did lose 1 Silkie after they arrived. Still 3 weeks later now and the remaining 15 are all healthy and happy.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  5. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Songster

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    That's really good to know. Do they hatch their own?

6. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Songster

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Quote:They get their birds form Meyer hatchery, which has a decent reputation for good quality for a hatchery. Not show quality, but not the obvious inbred, cross bred stuff some of the big boys pump out.

I have 25 on order, Japanese bantams, barred rock and plymouth rocks. That variety should really show their quality across the board.

7. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Songster

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    I ordered from MPC last August. Very good service. I got exactly what I ordered, no packing peanuts, and the sexing was 100%. All alive and healthy, all laying now. I would DEFINITELY recommend them to anyone looking to order chicks.

8. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I've never ordered from MPC, but from what I understand is, they don't hatch chicks themselves, they buy from the bigger hatcheries and are like a middleman, so you don't really know what hatchery your birds will come from. They seemed really expensive to me, too - $10 for a sexed bantam pullet. [​IMG] I'd rather buy more and deal with the roos than pay that much.

9. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Quote:They're the only place that offers sexed bantams. I would much rather pay the extra then have to raise chicks for 6 weeks or more, get all attached, then have to rehome due to having roosters. They're not allowed in the city after all...I'm too much of a wuss to get rid of the boys!

10. Karlachix

Karlachix Songster

Apr 21, 2008
    NorthEast
    I ordered from them last year and I was very happy with my chickens and the service. I'm ordering from Ideal this year because they had more of the chicks that I want.

I thought about Cackle but I didn't want to be required to choose 5 of each breed to make up the 15.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: