My Pet Chicken

chixrus

Songster
11 Years
Oct 24, 2008
Hi everyone! I just ordered my chicks (what a hassle) from Welp Hatchery, but i had to order 25. The only hatchery i could find that you could order fewer chicks was my pet chicken. do they have good chicks?

That's where i got my flock they are very healthy I've had No issues great layers i got 24 hens and only 1 ended up a roo he is a silkie.I did order from them this year also. I'm Very happy with MPC
yippiechickie.gif

Good Luck with your new chicks
thumbsup.gif

I got mine from Cackle Hatchery. Very happy with the chicks and their minimum was 15. I got 5 RIR, 5 Polish and 5 Silkie. They shipped and extra Silkie though. They all survived the trip but I did lose 1 Silkie after they arrived. Still 3 weeks later now and the remaining 15 are all healthy and happy.

Last edited:
Quote:
They get their birds form Meyer hatchery, which has a decent reputation for good quality for a hatchery. Not show quality, but not the obvious inbred, cross bred stuff some of the big boys pump out.

I have 25 on order, Japanese bantams, barred rock and plymouth rocks. That variety should really show their quality across the board.

I ordered from MPC last August. Very good service. I got exactly what I ordered, no packing peanuts, and the sexing was 100%. All alive and healthy, all laying now. I would DEFINITELY recommend them to anyone looking to order chicks.

I've never ordered from MPC, but from what I understand is, they don't hatch chicks themselves, they buy from the bigger hatcheries and are like a middleman, so you don't really know what hatchery your birds will come from. They seemed really expensive to me, too - $10 for a sexed bantam pullet.
ep.gif
I'd rather buy more and deal with the roos than pay that much.

Quote:
They're the only place that offers sexed bantams. I would much rather pay the extra then have to raise chicks for 6 weeks or more, get all attached, then have to rehome due to having roosters. They're not allowed in the city after all...I'm too much of a wuss to get rid of the boys!

I ordered from them last year and I was very happy with my chickens and the service. I'm ordering from Ideal this year because they had more of the chicks that I want.

I thought about Cackle but I didn't want to be required to choose 5 of each breed to make up the 15.

Back
Top Bottom