My pet chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by OneNothing, Sep 13, 2009.

1. OneNothing

OneNothing New Egg

Sep 12, 2009
    Has anyone bought from mypetchicken? Any complaints or concerns? I only want a small number of chicks (5-6) and they seem to be the only ones who will ship that small. Thanks

~Erick

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I bought some Silver Lakenvelder and Sumatra chicks from them-very healthy little guys and gals. [​IMG]

3. Marbleheader.

Marbleheader. Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    I'll let you know next weeks. My chicks are supposed to arriveon Sept. 22.

4. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

My chicks came 2 months ago from MPC. We ordered 9 pullets from them, and they all arrived very quickly!! However we did lose one a few hours later... just didnt look good coming out of the package. The rest tho were the FATTEST little butterballs I have ever seen. Peeping madly, energetic, very nice looking birds! So far I have been very pleased! and the box was well packed and secure...the PO employee even commented on the fact that they were packed so well! Customer service was impressive too... nice people there:) They credited me immediately for the loss of the one chick too!

I did have to cull one last week however...an EE for having a badly crossed beak that was getting progresively worse. She was refusing to take the force feeding and was losing weight quickly [​IMG] She looked fine on arrival, and it wasnt noticeable until she was about 5-6 weeks old and then it went like crazy [​IMG]

Sadly tho with chicks you do lose one or two occasionally...its all part and parcel of being chicken keepers I think. No matter what you do, sometimes they just go or have issues that you cant take care of.

But I wouldnt hesitate to order again from them tbh. The chicks that I had were some of the best chicks I have EVER seen. They looked like little golf balls with feathers. Peeping, eating, racing around...it was well worth the purchase imho. I have already decided that my next birds I will order again from them. Not to mention that their sexing was great! I got all girls!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. AZKat

AZKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    I ordered 15 from them that arrived a month ago. Customer service was great, and all of them arrived healthy and happy. I lost one at one week, but that was an accident, and not at all anything to do with the hatchery.

The surviving chicks are thriving and getting big, although its too early to tell the sex for certain at this point.

I'd order from them again, if I ever need to order more chicks.

6. johnnalei

johnnalei Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Colorado
    I ordered just six chicks and now they are just over a month old. All were very healthy, fluffy, chirping, so cute! All are still doing great. I got them first thing in the morning on Wednesday and they were packed super well and w/a heat pad and that jello food stuff. Great experience!

7. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

I have ordered lots of stuff (but no chicks or birds) from them and been very pleased with their customer service. I love MPC. [​IMG]

Even though, you might want to look into finding a local farm to avoid the trauma of shipping.

8. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Overall, they get great reviews, although a few people have had problems with them recently.

I would order from them again if they had something I particularly wanted and for a good price. I would be more likely though to order from Meyer directly since they supply MPC and will also do small orders. The big benefit of MPC is getting sexed bantams. I am not sure why Meyer won't do that for anyone other than MPC.

Anyway, I ordered 15 chicks. The order took approx. 3 months to be filled. I had what was a relatively minor issue and tried contacting them repeatedly over several weeks and they did not return ONE communication.

The chicks arrived in good condition. Two died within 24 hours (not terribly unusual especially with the length of shipment and heat). At least three of the remaining birds are roosters (again, not terribly unusual and they only guarantee 90% accuracy on sexing).

Of the remaining chicks, all have been healthy and hardy. Most of them are above normal quality for a hatchery. This is why I say I would consider ordering from them again and I would definitely order from Meyer directly.

9. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I just placed an order with them for 8 Speckled Sussex pullets & they're suppose to have shipped today. I'm a lil nervous about it because this is a first & normally I'd hatch out the eggs or just go local but I just wanted a few lil chicks & didn't feel like waiting around or incubating etc. Anyway I'll let ya know in the next couple of days when they arrive & how well it turns out. [​IMG] good luck to you with yours...

10. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Ok so I just got my pullet order & all seem happy & healthy. There's 8 Speckled Sussex chicks & I'll try to post a pic in a little while.

ok here's a pic I took a little while ago with my Blackberry hope it turns out ok.

[​IMG]

they all seem to be eating & drinking happy as you please....

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by