1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

My Pet Chicken

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KelsiNS, Jul 24, 2013.

1. KelsiNS

KelsiNS Songster

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    We had a rat kill my three favorite pullets last night, leaving me with two. Good news is, the rat ate a .22 round this morning when he couldnt find his way back out of my coop. Bad news is, nobody is selling 3-4 month old pullets locally. So im trying something brand new. Im ordering 2 EE roos and 23 assorted pullets from my pet chicken.

Has anyone ever used them? Would you recommend them?

If you got the brown egg assortment, what breeds did you end up with? Were they good quality birds?

Im very VERY new to chickens, and have honestly only ever had baby ducks. Any sage wisdom that you have learned raising fresh babies?

2. I have an order of Brahmas, silkies, polish and welsummers from MyPetChicken coming today. I'll update quality when I receive them.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Glad you got that rat - had no idea they were that aggressive.

4. My neighbors ordered my My Pet Chicken, I think eight, and half arrived dead or died within 24 hours. It was the last week of April, and we did have a late spring freeze that week. They did replace the dead chicks.

One of them is a silkie, and she looks nothing like the silkies I bought this spring from a breeder. If you are looking for quality, I strongly recommend a breeder.

5. KelsiNS

KelsiNS Songster

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    Quality is more "no deformities". I dont plan onbreeding show stock, just layers :)

6. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Songster

Jul 22, 2013
    Kansas
    Yuck! I've never seen a rat and pray I never do, glad you got it!

7. KelsiNS

KelsiNS Songster

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    Well Icahill- did your babies ever come in? Im hoping i get a good assortment-im going to bebummed if i get 30 of only one or two breeds!

8. Yes we received the chicks. We lost 4 through shipping stress (one each of the four breeds we ordered). Otherwise they all look good and healthly. We got all the one we ordered and in the correct amounts. I will contact My Pet Chicken today about the losses as they have a gaurantee live delivery. I hope their customer service is as good as the chicks look. The little silkies are very active, almost hyper and the rest are about normal as far as activity level.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by