My pet rooster has a still leg, don't know what to do or what happened... can anyone help?? please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lovemychickys, Feb 23, 2014.

1. lovemychickys

lovemychickys New Egg

Sep 14, 2013
    Lake Elsinore
    My pet rooster (Pecky a leghorn) seemed last night before I put him in his cage.. he was crowing, hopping around, dancing with his girls etc.. and this morning when I went to take him out of his cage, he was just laying there looking at me. Not his usual self, I am freaking out and I don't know what to do. I did give him some food and he ate not sure if he is drinking. I picked him up and took him outside and as I was carrying him he started to crow, I was happy to hear that. I put him in a box and I noticed his right leg is straight back.. I am no doctor and there are no vets in my area (as far as I know of). One more thing, he did get into a fight with my other pet roo.. a silkie, 3 days ago..but they were both running around after that.
    If anyone has any ideas/can help please do.
    thanks,
    one sad chicky

2. CarlieO

CarlieO Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2013
    WA
    How old is he? Do you know if he has had any vaccinations?

3. lovemychickys

lovemychickys New Egg

Sep 14, 2013
    Lake Elsinore
    I got him last summer from a school that had hatched him and 5 others. No vaccinations ever but I have given them poultry vitamins from the feed store..none of my other babies are having any problems.. I have 4 girls and 3 boys but the other two boys are caged, so I am at a loss.
    thank you for replying

4. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Its possible your dealing with Mareks disease. Do a search here, and you will find lots of information about it.

1 person likes this.
  5. lovemychickys

lovemychickys New Egg

Sep 14, 2013
    Lake Elsinore
    I did read a little on it, from the posts I read it seemed like the symptoms that were described were different then his, but I will do some more research on this disease. Right now he is sitting near me and eating, I do hope whatever he is going thru, passes.
    Again thanks for replying.

6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Bring him inside,keep him warm(when ill/injured birds cannot regulate their body temp,this is why additional heat is required).

Give him aspirin for pain,either a low dose(81mg)or a reg aspirin(325mg)dose is 25mg per lb of body weight,crush and place in water or sprinkle over feed or give orally(wrap in a pce of meat or cheese). Give his leg a warm water soak.

Check his leg for a sprain/fracture/dislocated tendon. Any swelling in leg,can you feel a fracture? To check for a slipped tendon,run thumb down back of leg from hock(leg joins body)to shank(scales start)press down while doing this,if tendon has slipped you can feel it,it will feel springy/loose/wobbly press down you should feel it snap back into place.

Make sure he can reach his food/water as walking is probably painful.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by