my pet turkey has a bulge in the front chest.

johnjohngo

In the Brooder
Nov 20, 2021
my pet turkey is very active and friendly to everyone. she is always chasing me and grating me when I walk to the backyard. today I noticed that she was hiding in a corner and did not look good. I just noticed that she has a big bulge in the front chest and it feels like water or liquid inside. she looks very quiet which is not like her before. Two days ago, a fox attached to the chick group and she fight the fox and protected the chickens. is it possible she got hurt when she fight with the fox? also i notice that she has never laid eggs while my other turkeys laid a lot of eggs already. could it be egg-bound? thank you so much if you can help. she is my favorite pet ever and I had a very bad feeling that I probably going to lose her.
11.jpg

So I am not much of a turkey person, but with chickens that looks like an impacted crop/sour crop ( where they arnt digesting food properly ) . So there’re ways to get rid of it but I still don’t know if it is the same for chickens as it is turkeys. I really hope this helps. Hope you can help her ( I will link a video about impacted crop/ sour crop about chickens below ).

https://oakabode.com/sour-crop-home-treatment-instructions/

Okay, I did do some research and this is a paragraph I found .

“ Sour crop in chickens and turkeys is caused by yeast of the Candida species. The condition, also known as thrush, is technically called candida infection or candidiasis. Left untreated, sour crop can have dire consequences”

So from what I found turkeys can have sour crop to.

I don't have turkeys, but it kind of looks like a pendulous crop that I've seen in chickens. It happens in older birds sometimes. The crop droops because of age and muscles that stretch out and lose their firmness. The crop doesn't empty properly, so you end up with recurring sour crop.

Google "pendulous crop turkey" and see 8f you think that fits what you're seeing.

For a chicken, I'd treat with yeast meds (like for yeast infections on women) by putting the cream directly in her beak 2x/day for 7 to 10 days. And then make a crop bra to help keep it from drooping so it can empty properly.

Might also be injury to her crop from her encounter with the fox. Can you inspect the crop area for posdible wounds?

Oh - and you can check for egg binding by looking for bulges near her vent or by inserting a lubrd and gloves f7nger into her vent just a little to see if you can feel an egg. But egg binding is usually fatal very quickly, and she would show signs of significant discomfort, so I don't think she's egg bound based off what you describe.

I hope she is ok. She is a brave girl!!!

Two days ago, a fox attached to the chick group and she fight the fox and protected the chickens. is it possible she got hurt when she fight with the fox? also i notice that she has never laid eggs while my other turkeys laid a lot of eggs already. could it be egg-bound? thank you so much if you can help. she is my favorite pet ever and I had a very bad feeling that I probably going to lose her.
Can you check her over really well for injury since she had an encounter with a fox?

I agree, it looks like her crop is not emptying.
Check her crop in the morning. If it's not emptying, then treat her according to this article, but you will want to adjust (increase) medications/oils to accomodate her size since the article was written for chickens.
I would not withhold food/water, nor would I vomit her.

She's never laid eggs in her lifetime, so it's doubtful she is egg bound now.

@casportpony may be able to give you better suggestions.

So I am not much of a turkey person, but with chickens that looks like an impacted crop/sour crop ( where they arnt digesting food properly ) . So there’re ways to get rid of it but I still don’t know if it is the same for chickens as it is turkeys. I really hope this helps. Hope you can help her ( I will link a video about impacted crop/ sour crop about chickens below ).

https://oakabode.com/sour-crop-home-treatment-instructions/
thank you so much! I found it is Pendulous Crop in Poultry. unfortunately, she passed away today.

Okay, I did do some research and this is a paragraph I found .

“ Sour crop in chickens and turkeys is caused by yeast of the Candida species. The condition, also known as thrush, is technically called candida infection or candidiasis. Left untreated, sour crop can have dire consequences”

So from what I found turkeys can have sour crop to.
I found this useful article about it, https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/miscellaneous-conditions-of-poultry/pendulous-crop-in-poultry

Back
Top Bottom