1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My pet turkey has clear water diarrhoea

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by lindasking2175, Jan 28, 2013.

1. lindasking2175

lindasking2175 New Egg

Sep 26, 2012
    We tried to hatch 3 turkey eggs, only one hatched. She has become a pet. She is about 3 months old. I was told by my feed store to feed her 30% game bird food. I also raise mealy worms for my chickens. My turkey Joe, (I think it's Josephine) Seems to be sick and I'm worried about her and don't know what to do.

She started out with white Poop, very runny, I wormed her, she seemed better for a short while, and started having runny clear liquid poop. I started her on antibotics three days ago. She is not following us around the yard anymore and seem. Depressed. Tonight she is not eating. I even tried her with mealy worms. She didn't eat them either. I tried her on yogurt, she won't eat that either. I even tried her on scrambled eggs and garlic, won't eat that either. Is there any special food I should be giving her. My roommate gives her a lot of mealy worms. So I cut her feed to 18%. I mixed the 30% and 18% for about 1/2 a bag and slowly increased the 18%. My roommate gives her lots of mealy worms and I was afraid of her getting too much protein.

Her weight is really down and she is very quiet. With the watery clear poop I'm thinking maybe she doesn't have any solids in her tummy, and maybe she is dehydrating. Does anybody know what I should do. I think she isn't eating. I think today she just knocked her food all over the place and didn't eat anything. She is not wheezing and seems to not have any breathing problems.
    Can antibotics cause this? She is supposed to take them for at least a week. We have her on duramycia-10. 1 teaspoon to a Qt of water.
    Should I force feed her? and if so what? Any help would be appricated. I have searched the fourm but now I'm getting desperate.

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Sorry to hear about your turkey. Sounds like you are doing a lot for her in terms of her feeding program. What type of feed are you feeding her? How old is the feed? Is the feed mold-free?

What are mealy worms? I'm not familiar with that. I don't feed that t my birds because I don't know what it is. Meds are good but before we try to give her more meds, you need to get some food in her. You said that her weight is down. You will have to hand feed her 3 times a day. Do not rely on her eating. She is sick and probably too weak and not interested in food. You scrambled eggs for her and that is great but you missed one thing. You didn't feed it to her. She's not going to eat it. You have to get the food down her. Do you know how? She needs to eat ASAP or she will die.

Once you start feeding her, then we can discuss the meds. Giving all those meds and no feed is not good. Let's try to fatten her up.

Keep us posted.

3. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    X2
    Do you have a syringe? You are going to need to fill it with water and put it in her mouth and squeeze the water down her throat. You may also have to make a paste of the eggs and shoot it down her throat too. Like kuntry girl said you have to feed her 3 times a day. I made the mistake with my first sick turkey to only force feed him once a day and he didn't make it. He would have if I'd have known to continue to feed him until he was well.

almost forgot, you will have to almost pin the bird down in your arms, she is most likely going to fight the syringe going into her mouth, you may need someone to open up her mouth.

4. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

x2. Great info. :thumbsup

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If she is dehydrated, that needs to be corrected *before* you force feed her.

7. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Good info by casportpony. :thumbsup

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    FYI, I think one is supposed to give fluids at the rate of 30ml/kg every 6-8 hours. I'll double check that when I get off this stupid iPad.

9. lindasking2175

lindasking2175 New Egg

Sep 26, 2012
    Wow!!! Thanks everybody! Sorry it's taken me so long to get back. I'm sorta new and had trouble finding my post. I had to go to work, that took up 4 days. One of my roommates took care of her while I was gone. Kept her on antibotics and gave her pedylite while I was gone. When I got back we took her of the antibotics and let her have her Mealy worms. She seems to have recovered. She just likes to go into the chicken coops and eat the pellets when the chickens are out free ranging. I really like the advice from everybody. I will get a syringe and put together a medical kit for my chickens and Joe, that's the turkey. We didn't know if it was a girl or boy so Joe goes either way. I'm very excited she got better.

BTW Mealy worms are the larva from the darkling beetles. There is a very good post somewhere in backyard chickens I don't know how I found it so I can't tell you how to get there.
    Someday I'll figure how to do all this. I already impressed myself that I have gotten this far. LOL Thanks again!

10. lindasking2175

lindasking2175 New Egg

Sep 26, 2012
    I thinks I mealy worms wrong, they are meal worms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by