My pharoah hen DIED!!!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by shelleyd2008, Mar 6, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    What the heck?? I went out there to feed today, and she was laying in their dust bathing pan. She looked okay, but sleepy. Went back out this afternoon, and she was dead [​IMG] I'm thinking maybe they were just old? Since she wasn't hurt, and didn't look sick? I bought them at an auction, and I'm thinking they were probably 'spent' breeders. But this totally sucks!! I lost one a few months ago, to my own stupidity for not closing the cage, and now I've lost the other one! I have some babies in the house, thank goodness, or I would have just taken the male to the auction [​IMG]

2. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    Oh no Shelley. I'm so sorry.

3. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    Oh no Shelley. I'm so sorry.

4. lilbreeches

lilbreeches Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Delight, AR
    [​IMG] that is so sad. sorry for your loss

5. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I'm so sorry Shelley - [​IMG]

6. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Oh Gosh, Shelly!! I am sorry you lost your hen! [​IMG]

That has happened to me before. One minute they are O.K. and a little while later they are dead for no apparent reason. I have wondered if maybe it has something to do with how FAST they grow. Their growth rate is tremendous compared to other fowl and birds and I wonder if their little hearts can't keep up, and just give out. [​IMG]

Do you have more hens? Do you need some eggs?

Lisa [​IMG]

7. ShadyGlade

ShadyGlade Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Sorry to hear you lost a bird unexpectedly. It always seems the good ones die and the ones we wouldn't REALLY miss linger forever.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:No, I have those babies inside that I hatched from the eggs I got from you, they are just a little young to be put all together [​IMG] Maybe I'll 'give' him a jumbo girl, to keep him company. I thought about just bringing that male inside with the jumbos, but the two males would probably fight. But thanks for the offer. [​IMG]

Oh and no, I don't have any more pharaoh hens. The babies are too young to tell. I had bought a trio of pharaohs, lost one to stupidity, and now one to who knows what.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    sorry shelley! [​IMG]

10. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    awh im so sorry Shelley! That's a big bummer for sure!!! See, you need to be closer... I have 1-2 I could do without! LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by