my Pidgie has passed away

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Mom 2em All, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I have posted before about my wonderful white homing pigeon that I have had for years- first rescued out of a dog's waterbowl after a bad storm and raised with love. My outdoor companion- even survived a hawk snatch n grab before.
    She used to sit on chicken eggs, and fell in love with one of my hens..
    I bought her a companion from Mary of Exeter- a young male Satinette....

well, she was sitting on two infertile eggs and he was sharing the duties. He just grew back in his flight feathers so he and she would spend hours in the branch of my tree or flying from the tree to the garage roof to the coop...
    *sigh*
    I dont know what happened to her. She appeared to have a stroke. One side of her body was paralyzed.
    She didnt appear to be egg-bound- but I gave her an injection of calcium gluconate just in case..and waited.
    I did not want to put her down.
    [​IMG]
    Well, I made her suffer long enough- and this morning I let her go. She was truly suffering- no beautiful bird should be grounded like that, unable to even walk.
    It sucks.
    My lovely male is searching for her now. Flying right at my face, actually- clumsy flier that he is. Right at my face, to the coop, to the garage, back right at me. I know what he wants. He wants his partner back. His friend.

I am very sad.

2. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    I'm so sorry you lost her [​IMG]

3. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    That stincks [​IMG] my pigeon had a Stroke fliped and kept fliping till I picked her up, she died two days after then her mate died two days after.

4. pigeonpal

pigeonpal Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Very sorry for your loss, Mom 2 em all. That is sad and I wonder what happened.

5. cochinGurl

cochinGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    bellingham
    poor girl. so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

6. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

is it hot there in mighigan could have been the heat? possible Im very sorry for your loss I hope the male calms down and you don't loose him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by