My pip died!

key west chick

Songster
11 Years
May 31, 2008
Gainesville, GA
I woke up this morning at 6 and came to check on my pip and its dead!!! WAAAAAA. I'm so sad. At midnight last night it was doing great. This morning it had a big hole in the shell but there was some sticky blood around the opening. I peeled away the rest of the shell. It was perfectly formed, still very moist inside, nothing dried out except around the hole. Yolk was absorbed. My humidity was between 71 and 74% the whole time. Was it to high? Did I drown it? I was listening to it cheep before I went to bed.

awww, so sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

somtimes chicks just dont make it out alive, for different reasons !!

I don't up my hum that high I up mine to about 65% so I think 75% is a little to high !! If you keep it about 60%-65% thats good !!! But dont be hard on yourself, the chick could of just not been strong enough to live it happens !!

Last edited:
Sorry Key West Chick, don't know what happened.

I try not to touch any of my eggs. Usually anything I did to try and help ended up hurting them instead. Even picking up half an egg shell I thought was chick free but a chick was still stuck to the shell by its navel and I almost pulled it's guts out.

Pulling eggshell off a pipping egg my cause the chick to dry out too fast and cause it to stick to the shell and not be able to turn around to zip out. Don't know... Sorry about your loss.

Opps, meant to say I peeled the shell away after it was all ready dead. It died during the night while I was sleeping. The last few days I could never get the humidity where I wanted it. When I turned it down a notch, it went to far down, thought I would rather have it a little high than low.

Quote:
What do you mean by "when I turned it down a notch" Are you talking about the temp ?

I have a humidity module. You dial in the % you want and it automatically adjusts. The heat in the house has been working extra hard the last few days, don't know if it was causing changes in the air and the mod couldn't keep up. It fluctuated alot. If I dropped it to 70, it was usually around 65, if I put it at 75, it was around 78%. I could never find the magic setting. Never had a problem until the heat came on so much in the house.

Back
Top Bottom