My plan...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jmeeter88, Sep 12, 2008.

1. jmeeter88

jmeeter88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    OK, so I definitely do not have the heart to kill my own bird... But what if I raised some meat-birds and then hired a local to kill/butcher/etc them for me? And how difficult are they to raise? They would have to be in a separate coop, correct?

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    super easy. seriously. there is tons of info and thoughts on the forum about how different people raise them.

i feed mine twice a day and have water 24/7. after three weeks in brooder, out they go into a nice tractor hoop house. i have a brooder lamp for cold weather, but they are so hot that steam raises off the house when it's cold![​IMG]

you only have them a short time and then, in your freezer.
    expect to pay 1.50 to 2 bucks a bird for processing. (which, BTW i found is easier to do than i thought)

you'll love the meat. it makes the best chicken soup you ever had!

here is the hoop house...it has a silver tarp over it to keep the weather off of them and stays super toasty at night. (that is one of my daughters and two guinea pigs checking out the construction of said hoop house!)

[​IMG]

some of the meaties at 6 weeks...

[​IMG]

3. jmeeter88

jmeeter88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    How old are they when you have 'em butchered?

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    4 weeks for cornish hen size

6 wks for fryers

8-10 wks for broiler/bakers

10 and up for 'oh my gosh, is that a turkey?' size!

mine (7 wks, yesterday) are pushing about 7bls i believe.

pic below of me plucking one..warning, naked chicken, w/head in pic and a crazy lady! this one i chose for making soup for DH this week, as he had the flu. (which he shared, how kind, soup & flu, with me!)

[​IMG]

5. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Love the pic of miss_jayne and the naked chicken!
    But seriously the meaties are very easy to raise. I was worried at first, but they are really easy. The only complaint I have is they are stinky. I knew that going in and we just move the tractor and it isn't so bad. Mine should be ready in 2 weeks or so! Can't wait!

6. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    But what if I raised some meat-birds and then hired a local to kill/butcher/etc them for me?

That really depends. I have yet to find a butcher in my area that will do poultry because of the different diseases they carry. I have four butchers in and outside of my county that have I have already spoken to. I will have to butcher my birds myself. Before you commit to the birds I would call around and find out of there are butchers locally to you that are willing to deal with them.​

7. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    they are seriously easy to butcher...refer to crazy picture above; if i can do it, anyone can. i didn't even use a manual or anything, just went for it.

hubby just got me a double sink from a salvage today for easier outside butchering. (it was only $20, enamel and everything!!!)

plus, you can end up with this....(my personal first butchered bird)

[​IMG]

to keep smells down, a great method is to hose off the area you had the tractor in the day before after moving it. i also sprinkle with a little lime. no smell, no flies!

8. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    Hey miss_jayne what was the type of chicken in the pic ? I am new to this and I am looking to get started in raising my own meat birdÂ’s. and were is a good place to order them? thank you

9. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey JMeeter,

KNK processes birds. The are in Edmeston - maybe 30 - 40 minutes from you. tele# (607) 965-8361 78 South Street, Edmeston 13335

Might be another option for you. Last year they charged 2.00$ a bird. Haven't talked to them this year yet....

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Nice photos, Jayne. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by