My plastic shed chicken coop build.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mistacheese, May 2, 2016.

1. mistacheese

mistacheese New Egg

May 1, 2016
    Stratford Ontario
    Being a complete beginner at all of this I have thrown myself in deeply. I have a few small issues I need sorted, and wondered if any of you have attempted a coop in a double walled plastic shed too. I got this Suncast shed at Canadian Tire on clearance, and built a 2x4 roost on hinges to make cleaning easier. I'm using a deep litter method, and have 4 nesting boxes mounted lower then the top roost rail. My waterer is a 5gal pail with chicken nipples, and will be using a pvc system attached to a hose for summer months. The questions are related to venting and egg collection. Am I best to just cut holes in the shed and cover with welded wire? Install grates from a floor register so I can close off for winter? A whirlybird on the roof? Looking for ideas that will allow me to keep it looking nice and not just hacked open, and also hoping for a way to close off during winter months. (Assuming I'm right that I want to limit the amount of winter air entering the coop.)
    For egg collection I can just go inside, but hoping for a way to cleanly add an access port from outside he shed. Possibly use 6" pvc with a threaded end cap on the exterior wall, but any ideas there too?
    Thanks everyone!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mistacheese

mistacheese New Egg

May 1, 2016
    Stratford Ontario
    Anyone have any experience adding windows/vents to their plastic shed...?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by