My Play house coop - Pending

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pattyjean73, Apr 16, 2009.

1. pattyjean73

pattyjean73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    NW Arkansas
    Yay.... I found the beginnings of my chicken coop.
    For weeks now I've been watching craigslist's free section watching for scrap materials and such to build a coop. Every time I respond to an ad I would be too late.

Yesterday I saw an ad for a FREE playhouse. I caught it pretty quick and was hopeful that I'd get it. But a few minutes later it was posted as GONE. Hopes were squashed once again.

I got a phone call today, guy introduced himself and said he had the playhouse I had inquired about. Come to find out... the first 4 people that went there to get it didn't realize how big it was and wasn't able to move it. So... it's MINE. I get to pick it up first thing in the morning.

What's more... he just built the playhouse for his kids last summer so the lumber on it is less than a year old! The roof is removable and its built on landscape timbers for runners. He is moving and doesn't have a way to take it with him but his landlord said he couldn't leave it there so he's just giving it away for FREE!

It'll have to be painted though, because its John Deere green. Laughs

I'm soooo excited.

2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    How lucky are you? That was worth waiting for! We'll be waiting for pics-Enjoy!

3. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Wonderful News!!! Can't wait to see pictures!!!

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    John Deere Green!!! [​IMG]

I would keep it that color and trim it out in yellow. Put a little weathervane on top make from a kids toy JD tractor! Your chickens will LOVE it [​IMG]

5. SophieLain127

SophieLain127 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    I love craigslist it is awesome. I've gotten a free window from there and I've gotten some gently used insulation for $0.75 for a four foot section. I can't wait to see what kind of treasure you found

6. pattyjean73

Apr 13, 2009
    NW Arkansas
    Yes well... I'm trying to do all of my construction (sort of a challenge) with free materials found here and there or things I already have at home. And only buy small items that you normally can't find laying around. Of course my husband has any tool that I might need and I have quite a few of my own (Yes, I even know how to use them). My goal is to keep total expense under $100 (Probably impractical). But I'm inpatient, and sometimes it may take quite awhile to find a particular item. My luck is I see an item every day and don't need it but when I do need it I can't find it for MONTHS.

My husband and I do M&M contracting for mortgage companies that have foreclosed homes. Almost always these vacant homes have things left behind and the MCs want it gone. So not only do I get alot of free stuff... but get paid to take it away. And then there's freecycle and craigslist. With alot of patience and your imagination you really can get alot of usable stuff for free. I know all about elbow grease and have 6 slaves (kids) ha ha that can help with cleanups and such. So... yeah its a challenge but I think it'll be fun.

Falling into the good fortune of finding a free practically new playhouse has helped ALOT.

Hey... anyone have a bathroom of kitchen bottom cabinet? (For incubator) ha ha

7. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Good for you!!!! I can't wait to see photos.

8. pattyjean73

Apr 13, 2009
    NW Arkansas
    I picked up my chicken coop today! It will need more work than I had hoped, but its very sturdy and has alot of good lumber in it. The siding was made with pressed chip board that I'm not too happy about. Some of it already needs to be replaced. But... it was free and its a beginning. It is 6x8 so it'll house 12 birds nicely. It already has two cut outs for windows so that's a plus. With the roof on its about 8' in the center but they have rafters that are only at 5'. I'm 5'7" so I'll be looking for a way to eliminate those. It'll need a new floor and I'll have to either redo the entry or I'll have to custom build a door. Either way... I have the starts of a coop now. It was too late and too dark for me to take pictures of it after we got it home, but I'll be sure to get some tomorrow and post them on a page. I'm so excited. This thing has great possibilities.

9. Sandrachx

Sandrachx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2007
    Chelsea, MI
    you'll have great fun customizing it. this is what my coop started out as when someone gave me their freebie:

[​IMG]

and after a summer of rehab it now looks like this:

[​IMG]

(i'm only 5'2" so the ceiling is tall enough for me to stand.)

10. kycklingmamma

kycklingmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sandrachx,

I know this is an off topic but what kind of dog is it in your avatar. I love it.

Pattyjean73, what great luck. I wish I could find something like that. I scoured our craigslist, and yeah there are several playhouses there for a nice little rehoming fee....

Will keep on searching.

Kycklingmamma

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by