My Play House Coop - PICS!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rosyposyosy, Aug 7, 2007.

1. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    i took a pic of our coop just a few minutes ago. i thought i would share [​IMG]

this is the exterior, they have 2 sets of monkey bars, but i hardly ever see them on the lower ones. they roost on the top monkey bars if i dont lock them up in time for bed. you can't see it, but the top half has chicken wire, so really it is a 2 story coop. oh! and that is a chicken stencil that my dad made for it [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this is the interior, i need to renail the ladder, but they do ok with it like this, also considering i let them out of the big door. the little door goes right to the shorter monkey bars. oh, and tar paper is lining the coop for insulation.
    [​IMG]
    these are their nesting boxes. i had one per pullet, but my pullet wasnt a pullet, she was a cockerel. so i have lenore's nesting box reserved as do fajita and gordita though, as they dont lay yet. i blocked them off with a soccer ball, a wall ball, and a basket ball.
    [​IMG]
    and these are the girls:

gordita the EE and fajita the bantam cochin
    [​IMG]

lenore, my cuckoo maran chick
    [​IMG]

fajita and lenore (they dont get along anymore though [​IMG] )
    [​IMG]

and the whole flock (you cant see gordita that well though)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  2. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Wow! that's a really nice coop!

3. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Awesome.............. arent they fun......love the names [​IMG]

4. RebelsHope

RebelsHope Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    wisconsin
    Your coops looks like fun! Wanna make me one [​IMG]

5. greginshasta

greginshasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    ok, questions!

If I'm not wrong, me thinks I spy an aluminum ladder section stretching from the coop to the wall on the right.

And the upper section is all open. Have you wintered over with this coop? Being west of PDX, I guess you probably don't get much snow? Do you get freezing temps there? Do you have a strategy for closing it up in the winter?

I'd love to see more detailed photos - this looks great.

6. rosyposyosy

Jul 11, 2007
    Quote:its not almunium, its their roost, which is round and wood, just nailed on with that. the uppersection? that is an entirely different story which you can only get to outside, so it is just being outside, except with a wood floor. it does get to be freezing, but not that many days, and usually, only 2 or 3 days get snow, usually 1-2 days it sticks. well, thats how it has been, might change this year if people keep driving those darn hummers!! [​IMG] hope i answered your questions.

7. greginshasta

greginshasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    rosyposyosy: ahh - I see, so that area under the roof is just an open "penthouse" for the birds, and storage in the blue tub. I take it the birds can walk up to there with their ladder?

Very nice.

8. rosyposyosy

Jul 11, 2007
    they hop up there after they meet the base. actually my americauna FLYS up there. she is a flighty one. i took some better pics - detailed ones - today. i will post them later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by