My Plymouth Rocks are turning out to be my favorites!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by mirandalola, Nov 18, 2016.

1. mirandalola

mirandalola Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    NorthEast Texas, USA
    I got a batch of Australorp chicks a few weeks ago, and the farmer threw in a Barred Rock for free. She is turning out to be my favorite! She's the most feisty but still docile enough; she's the fastest chick of the bunch, usually in the back of the flock but sometimes darts to the front for a quick treat.

I got some grown hens the other day (some more Australorps, some Orpingtons, and some Plymouth Rocks) and mixed them with my now-6-week-old chicks, who have been in the coop outside for a week now. Went outside to put the chicks in a cardboard box for the night since tonight will be significantly colder than the last week, and found one of the new Plymouth Rock pullets snuggled up on the floor with the chicks! I left them like that and I'm sure they'll be fine (it's supposed to get down to 39Fahrenheit).

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Plymouth Rocks are a great breed! I loved my BRs and I love my WPRs.

3. mirandalola

mirandalola Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    NorthEast Texas, USA
    Sure enough, that BR kept my chicks warm through the night. I found her eating the chick crumble when I opened the coop this morning, I guess she likes it better than layer pellets!

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi.

I like my Barred Rock as well. One of them is usually at the top of the pecking order. They weren't super friendly during their teen days. But once they started laying they come jump up in my lap. Before that though even though they didn't want me to catch them they still sat as close to my feet as they could and talked with me a bunch. They can be a bit bossy. Glad you are enjoying them! [​IMG]

Think I might have already tried to talk you into switching everybody to starter or grower and oyster shell on the side already? I'm not surprised the pullet liked it, she probably knows the good stuff when she sees it. [​IMG]

Also, please don't keep adding random chickens to your flock without quarantine for 30 days. You could loose your whole flock! [​IMG]

Your avatar is cute and colorful, kinda makes me feel like a child again. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by