1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My polish baby girl.. a few (ok a lot) of questions?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Charrisse, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Charrisse

Charrisse Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Nashville, Indiana
    Im new to this.
    My first box of chicks came Monday from MM Hatchery. There were two polish girls, identical. Silver. So cute and TINY. One was trampled in the shipping box, we revived her, thought she would make it, but then died later that night. Her sister tho, is eating/drinking and moving about ok. She will scratch and peck. She will interact with the rest of the flock some, not a whole lot. Spends most of her time near the heat lamp, alseep with or without the others, if others pile on, shes cool with that. if the others are running around, she will get up, eat, drink, scratch/peck randomly for a few minutes then go back to her spot and sleep. She sleeps alot. She peeped alot, like she was looking for sis the first day.. and has been like this ever since.
    Am I seeing normal Polish traits here, or is this baby sad or sick? I feel like I need to find another silver polish girl quick for her to be friends with. Most of my flock seem like they very much hang with their "type" lol They move together as a a whole flock, but breeds seem to always be near each other.
    Maybe Im over analyzing chick behaviour because I so desperatly do not want to lose another one, and Im quite obsessed by watching/ playing with them.. they have wormed right into my heart.

Help lol [​IMG]

2. Kittyf

Kittyf Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry your tiny one died - too bad you can't just pop out to the local breeder and get another. But my girls are all different breeds - no 2 alike - and once their order is established, things go pretty smoothly. If your chickies are all about the same age, I think they will do fine, but I don't know anything about Polish chicks, so they may be different.
    Welcome to this board - there are a lot of wonderful people here, all willing to help.

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Maybe they will send you another one sorry about your baby

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  4. Charrisse

Feb 15, 2012
    Nashville, Indiana
    Thanks guys. Its insane how attached to these little babies I am! The hatchery said I had to order 24 to get a replacement shipped . So I just accepted a credit. I need to order feeders soon anyway lol. Everyone else is healthy happy and getting big girl feathers. They are 7 days old today. I have been having fun with poor little earthworms... oh the free entertainment.. hours worth!

5. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    hi!

I just got a GL polish baby - 3 days old - along with a gold spangled Hamburg. The Hamburg is so much more active than the polish right now. All the GLP wanted to do when I got them home was sleep. The GSH started peeping so much while the GLP was sleeping that I put her in my pocket for a while, until the GLP woke up.

It could be that the shipping stress is harder on the smaller chicks and it takes them a little longer to recover.

6. Charrisse

Feb 15, 2012
    Nashville, Indiana
    Thanks guys for your responses!
    My polish girl is much more active yesterday and today. They are now 8 days old. She is certainly a mellow girl, she hangs back and lets everyone else eat first. If I toss her a worm, she will pick it up and run off with it, but she won't fight for it and often loses it to another chick. She is so cute and almost " backwards" .. it's hard to explain. It's like she is my little special needs chickie. Lol I'm so attached to her. Then the two blue Cochins, I think are both roos .. so so sweet and love to be held. I have a Delaware girl, who is momma hen. If there is a dispute or someone is upset about something, she comes charging in, peeping and looking all concerned. How do these little critters have so much personality and charm? I never dreamed they would be so interesting, sweet and fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by