1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Polish cockerel thought my socks were another roo?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by foxypoproxy, Sep 17, 2011.

1. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Ive had my white crested black polish bantam for a month or two now.
    To recap, we found him standing in the street.
    He ended up being sick with an upper respiratory infection, mites, and was starving.
    We took care of him and hes all better now.
    He started to crow a few weeks ago and he almost has all his spiky crest feathers.
    Hes been living inside a carrier while we are trying to finish building his chicken coop.
    We take him out now and then for "play time".

Today we took him out for playtime and my fiance was cleaning his carrier.
    So far hes been a very docile and sometime easily frightened chicken.
    I'm assuming chickens see in color because today when we had him out, he puffed up and charged my feet and tryed to start pecking them!
    I was kinda caught off guard because hes normally so chill.
    But i quickly took control of the situation.
    I started to peck him with my finger, then i held him down to the floor and bit and picked him up and held him till he calmed down.
    I put him back on the ground and he was fine.
    He looked at my feet but was very reluctant to charge, he just quickly ignored them.
    It wasn't till after that i realized, maybe he has mistaken my feet as a rooster because i was wearing, very very bright hot pink socks with bright blue spots!
    Ive also noticed before hes always pecking me if i'm wearing very colorful clothing.
    Ive never seen a pink rooster before [​IMG] but hey roosters are the colorful gender, maybe it was just mistaken identity?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    A case of mistaken identity.

My polish cockerel manages to see just fine, despite his crest. My polish pullet, not so much. We trim her crest regularly but it seems to grow back at an astounding rate. She will often focus on my bright red crocs. She follows my shoes around, so you think she'd be aware of my presence, but yet when I reach down to pick her up she always gives this startled squeak, as if she didn't know I was there.

Love the polish, such funny little birds.

3. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:I thought so! Hes never tryed to attack anything before and hes very good with humans.
    Hes too small to really hurt anyone anyway, doesn't even have his spurs yet.
    I love him. Hes such a silly little thing.
    He has a very full crest even when i tried to trim it, it didn't seem to help [​IMG].
    Hes always walking into stuff. [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    When I let my younger flock out, the whole flock takes off at a fast pace for their favorite area. Yesterday the polish Pearl was one of the first out of the coop, but when the others zoomed past her she got turned around a few times. She ended up facing the wrong direction, wondering where the rest of her flock had gone. This happens to her alot. I end up feeling sorry for her but at the same time I can't help but laugh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by