My Polish Crested pullet is missing :( *update*

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kara_leigh, Aug 21, 2011.

1. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Tonight at around 6:45 we had a sudden thunderstorm with VERY strong winds and torrential rain. Our chickens free range, and they made it up onto the porch before the wind started to really blow, but it hit pretty suddenly. It picked up a large rubbermaid type storage container and thew it halfway across our front yard (our yard is 1 acre and our house sits towards the back) in one gust. I counted my chickens and realized that one of them was missing. Cricket is my only pet chicken, she is a Silver Laced Polish crested who is 13 weeks old. She is attached to me and follows me around the yard and likes to sit on my head. LOL

I'm so worried about her. She is lighter than that bucket is, so the wind could have easily picked her up and taken her off. [​IMG] It rained really hard for over an hour so we had to wait to look for her, but once it stopped we took off. The wind had taken that bucket down the road quite a ways. We looked for her for an hour, long into the dark, and never found her. We thought we heard her call a few times, but never when we were close enough to find her. I hope she comes around tomorrow. I really hope if she is out there that she makes it through the night b/c it is really wet and cold out there.

Poor Cricket. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  2. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Bless your heart. [​IMG]

I hope you get Cricket back.

3. DanyyChicken

DanyyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southern NH
    I hope she shows up in the morning.
    BTW love your reward poster!
    keep us posted.

4. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Update -

We found her!!!!!!!!!! I am completely amazed, but SOOO happy! I thought for sure we would never see her again. I about started crying when I saw her. How stupid is that? lol She is soaking wet, but otherwise she is perfectly fine. HUGE sigh of relief!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back with her "crew"
    [​IMG]

5. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so glad she made it back! [​IMG]

6. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    [​IMG]

7. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    chickens are such resilient little things i knew she would find her way home!
    congrats!
    I had a old english game disappear before and i thought it was killed then it came back home 2 weeks later! I was amazed she survived so long!

8. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    I am so glad that you found Cricket! [​IMG] I do have to add that your picture of your wet Cricket is a keeper! [​IMG]

9. I <3 my EEs

I <3 my EEs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    Lancaster
    YAY! i was about to cry [​IMG] yay yay yay! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. DanyyChicken

DanyyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southern NH
    Wow... I'm so happy for you. That's great! I'm sure it was a scary experience for her and she must be so glad to be home![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by