1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my polish has horns??? pic added

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by debbyluvschickens, Jun 7, 2008.

1. debbyluvschickens

debbyluvschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    I bought a polish hen last saturday, She is kind of wild, so I havent gotten close to her untill today. Her comb looks like 2 devil horns. Shes still pretty wild, so I really couldnt get a good pic, but heres the best ones I got. Also, I have another hen I bought as a polish, but she doesnt have any "horns". Are they both polish? Ignore the mess in the pics...hubby is attempting to build cages.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  2. tricia

tricia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2007
    West Central Wisconsin
    Ha ha ha! Yes, Polish chickens have horns! Well, a comb that looks like horns anyway! [​IMG]

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    its the V comb. spitsburgs or whatever have them and a few others (see feathersite.) pretty interesting.

4. debbyluvschickens

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    OOOOH OKAY.....well that means my other polish is not a polish then? Or can they also have normal combs? Im so confused..lol

5. DTchickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    as far as i know. they can have a number of different combs, i dont really know anything about polish though. have only seen pics and read about everything on feathersite. but i know in OEGBs. they can come Single comb and straight comb.. so i dont see why polishes couldn't come V comb and.. whatever else? :|

6. tricia

tricia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2007
    West Central Wisconsin
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  7. debbyluvschickens

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    My other ones is light gray, with a much bigger crest and no visible comb, this is the one I already had, I still havent taken a pic of the one I just got, it was dark when I finished cooking, and she roosts up in a tree. BTW what color would you call this one?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  8. DTchickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    looks like a white. but she has blue spots in here it looks. so i would say. -Splash

9. debbyluvschickens

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    OMG Tricia, on that link, theres a solid white frizzle polish....I'm in LUUV!!!! None of the Polish there had "horns" but I saw some on feathersite with "horns" so I'm thinking they can have either? Thats weird. I have never seen a "horned" chicken befor. I've got to come up with a neat name for her...something to do with her "horns"

Also DTchickens, she looks white in that pic, but shes a light smokey gray with darker gray spots and a white crest. I was wondering if she might be splash. Thanks.

10. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    That's a polish, appears to be splash colored. You say you can actually see the comb on the one you bought? Interesting... The polish girls that I have, I can't see the combs but I can on all the males.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by