My polish hen attacked my puppy!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sophie Mae, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Sophie Mae

Sophie Mae Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Marion, Ohio
    [​IMG]

Ok, I have this polish hen, I believe she is a hen. She squats when I come up to her and follows me around every where.........but sometimes she runs up on me kicking me.[​IMG] At first I thought well maybe she just does not see well and ran into me. Today I let my little puppy( 1.5 lbs) out in the yard with his momma. This little hen, Gertrude, attacked both of them![​IMG] Is this normal? None of my other chicks or my roo does this and I do not have a nice roo. He and I played a game with a rake today after he kept coming after me. I just think this is weird behavior. Any comments? This is the best picture I have. She was hatched last June.

2. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    Have you trimmed her poof? I watch my silkies and when I can't clearly see their eyes, it is time for a trim. I don't show my birds so it isn't an issue. If she can't see clearly it may trigger unusually defensive behavior. Or she just may not like dogs.

3. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    Quote:I do the same thing. It helps them a lot, Yeta's confidence goes way up after a hair cut. She pecks my hands to death when she is in need of a trim.
    I know it's the same suggestion twice, but maybe it will help!

4. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    I have two bantam polish hens, they are about two years old and definately are girls. Both of them think they are 10x bigger then what they really are. I watched one of the girls "try" to chest bump my full grown male peacock one day. They can see just fine, just have attitude.

5. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    I wish you had a video camera when that happened!

6. Sophie Mae

Sophie Mae Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Marion, Ohio
    Me, to!!! The puppy was not hurt but boy did he run, and momma deserved it cause she has chased the hens before. I will try giving her a trim. I did not even think of that. I really enjoy how she follows me around. Maybe she was jealous some one else had my attention. Thanks for the replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by