my Polish hen has gone broody!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by StellaLenoir, Aug 8, 2008.

1. StellaLenoir

StellaLenoir Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2007
    I cant beleive it! My first hen, a polish top hat is broody! She is sitting on 8 eggs, none of which are hers!

I think they are fertile, as my 7 hens are in with a roo.

She is not being aggressive, or anything. She seems in a trance. I can pick her up and she does nothing.

She started this on Thursday. I left her on Thurs with only 3 eggs (2 ee eggs and a bo egg) Now she has a clutch of 8. I marked the eggs so I can take any additional eggs laid as all the girls are still going in the same nest even though she is sitting on it.

I put food and water in with her. What else to do?

I would LOVE to have her really hatch the eggs. These will be my first grand chickens!!!!!

I cannot beleive she is the one who went broody! From what I have read polish dont often do it.

Any advice?

I just read a post about meal worms. I will get some Sat.

What brings on broodyness? She was always a lay an egg and leave it kind of girl.

I am soooo excited !!!![​IMG]

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    OOOh! I am so excited for you! I love my Polish but hatched them under a BO and a silkie. Whata girl. When my hens were sitting on eggs, I put food and water in front of them within reach. I gave them a snack every evening. And I ended up using 3 fans to stop my BO from panting. I didn't want her stressed.

I would also think about moving her where she won't have others laying eggs around her. Best to move her at night. Updates, please!

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    How is your broody polish doing?

4. Drews Ma

Drews Ma Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2008
    Dinwiddie, VA
    I was so happy to see your post. Our White Crested Black Polish girl went broody a little over 2 weeks ago. I had to scramble to find her some fertile eggs as we have no roos. I wanted to see if she would hang with it. So far so good. I did give her her own space, but still in the same coop.

I was also worried about her eating and drinking. I have food and water in with her, and she does venture out every once in a while. When I checked on her today she seemed to be so much smaller.....but she did eat and drink.

Good luck with your broody [​IMG]

5. StellaLenoir

StellaLenoir Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2007
    So far so good. My hen did come out for a bit of food and a roll in the dirt:) I thought maybe she had given up motherhood, but she went back in to her eggs

We did have one egg crack and she rolled one out, but the rest are doing great!!!

Some of the eggs seem lighter in weight? Is that normal?

Our other hens have started laying in a new nest spot so that is good. I numbered the already set on eggs, so I know who is who and what can be food.

I cant wait to see my tiny grand chickies!!!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    congratulations I can't wait to hear how she does with her first hatching. the mothers can pretty take care of themselves but if she doesn't get off the nest once a day to eat, drink, and poop you will have to move her off. watching the little chicks following mom around the yard is enjoyable and well wirth the wait of 21 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by