My Polish Hen Has Head Lice!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chickensfan, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Chickensfan

Chickensfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    please help! does this look like head lice to you?
    [​IMG]
    if it does, PLEASE tell me the treatment!

2. ShanandGem

ShanandGem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2016
    I'm not super familiar with the wild haired chickens, but to me it looks more like someone is scalping her one feather at a time.

3. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Inspect her closely for mites and lice.
    It could be that external parasites are itchy and she's scratching the area with her toes.
    Check the vent for live ones and inspect the feather shafts for clumps of eggs. Look under her wings close to the body.
    Tell us what you find.

4. Chickensfan

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    here are more photos of the rest of her...(it has gotten worse!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Chickensfan

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    i am planning to take her to the vet Tuesday/ Monday if they can fit her in.

6. redguinea

redguinea Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2015
    Land down under
    I cant see any mites in the pic but have a close look. What preventative treatments do you use?

7. Chickensfan

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    i haven't used any yet. she was vaccinated as a chick.

8. redguinea

Dec 25, 2015
    Land down under
    If you think its mites start treatment of your whole flock, I treat everything of mine every 3 months with ivermectin. Its a cattle pour on and goes on the skin and is absorbed through the bloodstream. I use it on all poultry. Results 3-4 days. I had a baby turkey and no matter what I used the mites on its head wouldnt die so ifter

9. redguinea

Dec 25, 2015
    Land down under
    Sorry posted too early lol
    So after using ivermectin the mites were completely gone. I think it also helps with intestinal worms also? I had noticed before using ivermectin I would get the occasional worm in poo and now I dont see any.

10. bunsnpupsnchick

bunsnpupsnchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Ivermectin is used for worms/mites/etc with dogs. Be careful with the dose, application, etc. as for dogs it will kill some breeds or make them very sick. Not sure if the same holds for chicks.

You could try to separate her out & give her a bath with environmentally friendly/dawn dishsoap. Use running water to help flush the mites off of her as best you can. I read somewhere about using a product called nustock I think it was. I've had mites on my sex-link that I've had luck treating with batch & coating (working down to her skin) with petroleum jelly then washing & repeating in a few days. The petroleum jelly can/will dry & flake off, but she might not like that. Just treat her all over as they'll move to an untreated area. If nothing else, might help give her some relief until you can get her to the vet after the weekend.

If you google at home treatments there are loads of suggestions.

Hope helps.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by