My polish hen is sick seems drunk or had a stroke?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Essexchicks, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Essexchicks

Essexchicks New Egg

Sep 11, 2012
    Just got her 2 days ago.. Has been fine, was a little lethargic this am, so I didn't let her out to be safe.. Let her mate out to give her some space to rest.. Came home from town only Agee bouts later and I thought she was dead she startled when I touched her but is all weird and floppy... She has water I gave her a drink to be sure.. There was some whiter watery poop... Last I checked she was laying there looking half dead :-( help!! I don't see any injuries on her... Far as I know she's a 2 year old polish hen

2. soler

soler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Force feed her more water and some yogurt. She might be really dehydrated, or weak from whatever else. If you have any electrolytes, or gatorade, i would definitely give that.

Where did you get her from? If a farm, you can ring them and ask what the problem might be, perhaps they have had a worms problem, or mites or something of the sort.

Any sign of respiratory illness like sneezing, coughing, eye/nose discharge?

Lastly, i would get that poop tested. she might have worms or cocci or something else that the vet can identify. Any ved can test a poop and it usually only cost $20-30 and you might get results same day or latest next day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by