My Polish is broody!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by seminolewind, Sep 7, 2008.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    One of my girls is broody, can't believe it. She seems pretty diligent, I wonder if she would stick it out for 21 days and raise the chicks. Anyone done this?

2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I'm doing this right now with my Frizzle. She was broody 4 days (had her on plasic eggs) so I went and got her 4 eggs from a neighboring town after listing on Craiglist that I need fertile eggs. I paid $1 an egg and got 3 browns and 1 blue from her mixed flock. It didn't matter to me, I just wanted babies [​IMG]
    The eggs are due in 3 days [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I'm getting sooo excited [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I read that Polish don't normally go broody, and if they did sit on the eggs, they probably wouldn't stay till the end. And, if they happen to go to the end, they would just kill the chicks. So, you might want to watch her very closely.

4. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:Due in 3 days????? Wow, she made it. Please keep me updated, and let me know if she stays with the chicks. I am so suprised at mine, didn't think it would happen. Her sister even sits in the nest with her for a while every day, looks like she's keeping her company. The other chickens lay eggs there, and she just rolls them all underneath her, LOL. So I just pull out the fresh eggs every day, and leave her an egg or two.

5. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

If it were me, I'd try it, just to see if maybe she is the exception to the rule. Good luck![​IMG]

6. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    wow! That's surprising! I hope you have some babies soon! [​IMG] I am waiting to see if any of our red star or buff orp. hens will go broody. I hope so! [​IMG]
    Good luck!

7. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:They would KILL the chicks??? Why does that happen?

8. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I researched on the computer cuz I got a Polish. The article said they don't make good mothers, that if you wanted chicks to use a incubator. Might want to look it up for yourself.

9. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I say go for it. White Leghorns aren't supposed to go broody either,but try telling that to the 3 of mine that went broody this year. I just separated one from her month old chicks this weekend.

10. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I think that I would keep my incubator running the whole time just in case. But she is as diligent as any broody right now. I need hatching eggs right now, LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by