my polish is turning beige

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Epent12, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Epent12

Epent12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2014
    jakarta, indonesia
    I have a pair of white polish chickens They're 3 months old, their crest is turning beige 'cause they dip their head when they drink, should I bathe them? The one that sold me the chickens told me not to bathe them 'cause they'll die. I dunno if its safe if I bathe them, I need help

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] to BYC!

Yes, it is safe to bathe a chicken. However you might want to wait until it is warmer outside in case they still might be damp and taking them outside would cause them the chill. If you do bathe them this time of year, make sure they are really really dry before taking them back out. You could always just wash the head feathers to clean them up a bit. You can use a blow drier on them.

Good luck and enjoy BYC!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  3. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Bit odd that they submerge their heads when they drink. Have you considered putting a mesh grille or similar across their water so they can only dip their beaks in rather than their heads? If you're worried about bathing them harming them in cold weather (which is a good possibility) then you should also be concerned about them soaking their heads and ears. Their sinuses could get infected.

Best wishes.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Bathing chickens is safe as long as they are completely dried off - many enjoy a blow dryer.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! A lot of people with polish or other big crested breeds trim the crests back around the face so the birds can see better and to keep them dry.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you don't plan on showing the birds, you can carefully cut back the crest, or beard if they have one - so they don't get soaked- . If they will drink from a nipple water system that would keep them dry also

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by