My Polish Pullet falls asleep ALOT. Like on the ramp to the coop...

TrixiePA

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
South Central PA
Evening all. I am not sure if this is a breed thing but had to post to get some input.

I have a Polish Pullet, 17 weeks old, who falls asleep standing up all the time. Month ago I was concerned and kept thinking she was sick or some such thing.

Apparently this is her thing. I throw a snack in, she eats with vigor then walks off and stands still, her head slowly bends down and she's asleep. Until something startles her awake.

Tonight my husband closed the pop door a bit early and went back at dusk to check on any stranglers... my Polish was asleep face down wings spread out on the ramp. Once startled she hopped up and made her way in and found her perch.

My question is Can this be a normal behavior? I mean she's totally entertaining and the most laid back nonplussed chickie in the bunch but this narcolepsy thing... really?

Thanks Tracy

Glad you posted this! I have 4 WCBP pullets and with the exception of 1, I have thought they were lazy/narcaleptic too! I will go out and check on them periodically and there they are...asleep in the middle of the day. One of them will even lay over on her side occasionally. Then, like you said they get startled awake and the go off about their business for a few and then asleep AGAIN! I'm interested to see other's responses.

I have a bantam WCP... and she is the most laid back chicken I have ever seen. She falls asleep at the drop of a hat. Last weekend, it was so hot and we were visiting my parents, I put her in the pool... no, not to swim... just a quick dip... and then she laid on my arms, down in the water as I sat on the steps. She fell asleep in the water. When I moved her to the deck, she jumped up on the wall, fluffed her very wet feathers, stretched out her wings, and proceded to to sun her self, dry her feathers and take a nap at the same time.

Sleeping and eating (especially my mom's potato salad) are her favorite past-times.

D

Last edited:
Quote:
Seriously that was my first thought about a month ago. I mean as a chick she would do the fall forward thing but so did all the rest. I was so sure that she would go when I treated them for cocci but I didn't lose anyone.

I always make sure she gets the yogurt or whatever treat I put out so I know she eats and drinks. Not picked on, no visible parasites and did worm with wazine 2 weeks ago, waiting on TSC to order in the ivomectin... but no issues there. No mucus, no raspy sounds, no leakages of any kind... etc etc etc. I have checked and rechecked b/c it worries me but I had to just give up worrying b/c I can't find anything wrong.

So I think she's normal healthy just very sleepy bird. LOL.

I have a five month old Polish Roo we call Frenchy and he always finds the highest spot and numerous times a day will just nod off into sleep and most of the time he snores. I thought he was really relaxing in this summer heat. It must be a P. chicken thing.

Maybe you have a new breed....feinting chickens?

Sorry...not helpful...but funny?
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom