My Polish rooster is unable to walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by birdlover67, Nov 4, 2014.

1. birdlover67

birdlover67 New Egg

Nov 4, 2014
    Central North Carolina
    I have had a Polish hen ever since I bought her as a baby chick and she is absolutely beautiful! I finally found a Polish rooster to go with her, of course I wanted to hatch some babies from the two of them. I separated the two of them from the rest of my chickens, they were in a cage off the ground, the bottom of the cage is wire of course (rat wire I believe it is called). The hen had no problems at all and still doesn't, but after they had been in this cage for approximately 6-8 weeks my rooster started sitting down a lot and acted like his legs were unable to hold him up. I got him out and checked out his legs and feet and he didn't act as if he was hurting at all. My neighbor told me that he could have hurt his feet on the wire. I moved them back into the lot with the other chickens which is on the ground. This has been at least 3 weeks ago and he is no better. We do not have a vet around here for animals like chickens. I do not know what it could be. HELP!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you know if he had a Mareks vaccine? Can you describe how his legs are now? Is either leg paralyzed, does either toe curl under, or does he sit back on his hocks or elbows mostly? What happens if you stand him up? I would put poultry vitamins in their water, and he may be better off being in his own pen if they are bothering him, but also to make sure he gets to food and water. Make sure the vitamins contain riboflavin--Poultry Nutri-Drench does not.

3. birdlover67

birdlover67 New Egg

Nov 4, 2014
    Central North Carolina
    He has not had any vaccine since I have had him, what he had when I found him at an auction, I have no idea. His legs kinda just stick out the majority of the time. He will hold himself up long enough to move around some but not very far. He is able to get around enough to get to water and food. He still eats and drinks great and the Polish hen is actually very protective of him, so the other chickens do not really bother him. His legs do not appear to be paralyzed and the last time I noticed his toes they did not appear to be curled under. If I stand him he is only able to stay up a second or two. It just breaks my heart because he is so gentle and beautiful. If he needs this vaccine where can I get it? Would this particular type of vitamin to go in the water be found at a regular farm and garden type store? Thank you so much for your reply!

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If it is Mareks, a vaccine won't help. Mareks vaccine is offered to day old chicks at most hatcheries. You can buy it and administer it to chicks at home, but if Mareks is in your environment or another chicken is a carrier, then all your chickens are already exposed. I want you to know that this is not a diagnosis for Mareks, and I would still look for other reasons for his not being able to stand. Right now I would treat him with poultry vitamins every day. Here is some reading about Mareks just to learn about it:
    http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/#/disease/Marek's_Disease
    http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

5. birdlover67

birdlover67 New Egg

Nov 4, 2014
    Central North Carolina
    Thank you for your help, it is very informative. I will start mixing the vitamins in the water daily and see if it helps. I read the articles and I almost feel like my other chickens might even be showing signs by now if it is actually Mareks. I could be wrong but it seems as if. I am gonna give it a try with the vitamins. Thanks again :)

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I forgot to ask, how old is your rooster? Poultry vitamins are available at most feed stores. Online if you have to go that route, Avian Superpack is a good brand. Most far store carry Rooster Booster brand and you can find others by Durvet. In some young chickens, there can be leg bone deformities that progressively get worse, and may not show up until a month or two when tendons become damaged. I just hope that it is not Mareks, and that you can help this guy.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. only1bgirl

only1bgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2014
    Oregon
    [@]birdlover67[/@
    I would give him hard boiled egg mashed and the darkest greens you can find spinach, kale or dandelion if you can't get vitamins right away. Shelled sunflower seeds are packed with protein too. Here's hoping it's not disease and it's just a result of being caged without excercise or access to greens. Really give the bottoms of his feet a good looking over for cuts or infections. Also check the length of his claws.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  8. only1bgirl

only1bgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2014
    Oregon
    @birdlover67
    How's your rooster doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by