My polish. Standard or Bantam? New Pics of Roo!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickens112, Mar 16, 2009.

1. chickens112

chickens112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Cuero Tx
    I am wanting to figure out if my polish are bantam or standard here are my two pullets. In the pics they are around 6 months old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for any comments. Also what do you think of their quality?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  2. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Oh good, you did see my post on the other thread! [​IMG] Hope you get some good info. [​IMG]

3. chickens112

Aug 10, 2008
    Cuero Tx
    yes I did. sorry about that

4. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Well we can't tell how big they are from a picture with nothing as reference for their size.

If you could give us their measured height, weight, ect, that would help. [​IMG]

5. chickens112

Aug 10, 2008
    Cuero Tx
    I will try to get a pics with them next to something

6. byrandom

byrandom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Terrell, TX
    It looks like a hand on the bottom of the second picture? And the first picture the chainlink fence....

I'm thinking Bantam.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yep, now that I see the hand, I say bantam. Unfortunately chain link comes in different sizes, so that is hard to use as a reference.

8. chickens112

Aug 10, 2008
    Cuero Tx
    Well I just went and weighed them and the two hens are 3 lbs and they are just at 50 wks old.
    My rooster is 3.5 lbs and he is at 6 months. Those pics abover were from when the hens were about 5-6 months old. So would their weights show they are standard? Thanks

9. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Yeah, that is too heavy for bantams. If I remember correctly the standard weight for a bantam roo is 30 oz. (so just under 2 lbs.). They aren't huge birds, but they are average size chickens as large fowl. You must have large fowl...is that what they were sold to you as? It is so hard to tell from the pictures. And they still have a little bit of growing to do, too.

10. chickens112

Aug 10, 2008
    Cuero Tx
    The two hens I got as eggs, and the lady did not tell me. The rooster was sold to me as standard but I was not sure since right now he is just a little bit bigger than the two hens. So do you know about (age wize) when they will reach their full size?

Also Crunchie I may be looking for some hatching eggs in the future. I sent you a pm about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by