My polish STILL isn't laying!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mother o' chicks72, Oct 30, 2011.

1. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    Yes I know there is a thread about why my hen is not laying, but I found that it is only helpful in very specific instances, I would appreciate any answers I get to be posted straight on this thread, rather than links to other threads that have 20+ pages of responses. About four months ago I bought a five month old bantam polish, she had respiratory issues but we put her on antibiotics and she was fine within a month so we put her in with the other girls, she was bullied for about a month and a half so I figured her not laying was due to stress,, but now the bullying has stopped and she's been accepted for about a month and a half. She is in good health, gets plenty of food (mash, greens, and other treats, grit, and oyster shell), and is no longer picked on or stressed out but I still haven't gotten a single egg. Do you think she just wont lay until next spring, or will she never lay at all? Any and all help welcome, even if you think your advice is suckish. Thanks a ton.

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    polish are not good layers - when I had mine - they were the last to start & the first to stop. Plus they generally didn't lay for more than a few days & they would take a week off. Its just the breed.

3. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    mine should be 9 months old now though, shouldn't she have layed at least one egg? I mean, I didn't expect much from her when I bought her, she was just so sweet and pretty we had to have her (although the awful woman who sold her to us didn't mention she was sick) , although I assumed we'd at least be getting a little egg here and there by now.

4. franklinchickens

franklinchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    We got a 1 week old chick in April and she appears to be full grown at this point. Every other chick we got then has started laying (due to odd circumstances, we ended up with a random assortment of a buff orpington, red sexlink and a dominique along with the polish). They all lay daily or every other day. The Polish - nothing.
    She's kind of a spaz - freaks out over everything and insists on roosting in the trees instead of the coop (we get her every night and put her in the coop) so we though maybe she'd found a spot somewhere in the yard. Nope. We did find a clutch of brown eggs from one of our other gals, but as far as I know, Polish lay white eggs. Everyone else is brown, blue or green. I'm wondering too - when do these birds start to lay? Never even seen her in the nest box.
    We're thinking of making her her own box in the lower run which is the only place I see her go besides the yard. Maybe that will help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by