My Polish Top Hats won't Lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by antiquebuff, Apr 6, 2008.

1. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    I have two top hat hens that I know are at least 6 months old and they have not laid an egg yet. Does anyone know when they should begin? They are in with a bantam cochin which is laying already. I feed laying mash , oyster shells, black sunflower , snacks and plenty of fresh water. Nests are built and waiting. I even put a couple lower just in case they could not get to them. Any help would be appreciated! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  2. antiquebuff

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Does anyone out there have any top hats that could help me out? Thanks!

3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    no top hats here but my girls just started laying at 6 months just be patient is my advice.

Good Luck,
    Henry

4. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    My Polish took forever! I think it was around 7 - 8 months before the first egg. I thought there was something wrong with her but now she is pretty regular.

5. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    My polish took forever! They are a year and just now laying regularly!! I know it's frustrating. Good luck,

jackie

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Many of the "fancier" breed will take 7+ months to start laying. It's mainly the production types that start at 5 and 6 months.

7. antiquebuff

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Thanks so much for all the reply s. I will be patient now, I just wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong with them or the way I was taking care of them! [​IMG]

8. johnnam

johnnam Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2007
    sweet home, OR
    I have a polish that layed an egg every day for about a month and now I haven't gotton an egg from her in about two months.

9. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    Polish are not a production breed so it takes them longer. My 6 month old is not laying yet, but niether are my 6 month old silkies. Be patient with them. When they do start laying, it won't be regular either. Mine will lay 3-4 in a row and take that many days off and start laying 3-4 again. Sometimes they decide to wait longer. It is just something you have to understand with the more exotic breeds.

10. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    I don't know if it is the fact that I live in the north, but my spring and summer chicks never lay an egg until the next spring. But the whole flock stops in Oct or Nov. and doesn't start again until March. They lay pretty regular once they get started and I get 9 to 11 eggs a day from the 11 hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by