My poop board with pictures

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by vickichicki, Mar 10, 2013.

1. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    As people tend to post their constructions, I figured I would grab my camera and log my rather tragic looking poop board. Maybe it will awe inspiring to someone [​IMG]

Cost of this project for me was $0 Nothing beats completing a project for free. I will at some point put some real numbers on my build for people wanting an idea of how much it would cost.

Build 101... Put it on paper

[​IMG]

So I ran to the shop and used the tools there to cut everything I needed. I did bring home my drill, circle saw and a knife.

Here is what I used

[​IMG]

I started with my board. Covered it with carpet protector then covered that with plastic. Due to some bad calculations (facepalm) I cut the plastic too short, which meant I had to piece it together on the board. A bigger piece would have been wonderful and alot more practical. Pulled the plastic over the front and stapled it to the back side.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Next I constructed the tray it was going to sit on. I want the ability to pull the board off and take it outside to hose off, or to re-cover. Also giving the the ability to pull it out to clean if there were chickens on the roost. When everything is all done in the spring, I will switch the tray around so I can pull it out from the outside of the coop instead.

Basic box frame with a middle support (not on my drawing). Figured it would need the support to stop the sway as well as weight distribution.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I lined it up with my board to make sure the tray sat inside the board dimensions.

[​IMG]

I added some side rails to the tray to make sure the board sat on the tray properly and to act as a slide guide. Also to contain the PDZ and poop. Making sure the height of the guide was taller than my board (used a 2x4 for the height measurement)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

My trial fit of the board in the tray.... Well.... Almost but not quite.
    [​IMG]

I shimmed the one rail out and she fit snug.
    [​IMG]

I added a few scrap 2x4s under the board to screw a front to it, to act as a lip and to attach a handle (at some point). Should have done that before I covered it in plastic... DOH... now have screw head sitting exposed. (although they are flush with the wood)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Now for installation of the tray. I had intended to put angled supports in, but after assessing the structure, I decided to put it on two stilts and screw the back to the coop.

[​IMG]

With the board on...
    [​IMG]

I took down their original roost and need to fashion something new, so with what I had left over I did this.... Now put those levels away.... of course it is level... pfft (so I did fix it after the photo).

[​IMG]

Come spring I hope to make a suspended roost for the chickens. Hoping to get everything off the floor to make it easier to rake.

So it does not look pretty, but I can confirm this morning, the board has been a success. Filled it with PDZ... scoop ability poop.
    I did also put a small ramp to the board until they know where their new roost is, so that will eventually be removed.

ENJOY!!!!

Forgot to mention... poor chickens were in the coop the entire time I built this... they did well and only got in my way a tiny bit [​IMG]

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Nice! :)

3. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Thanks.... Chickens think it is the best :D

4. Mayerling

Mayerling Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2012
    Temecula, CA
    I need to make some of these. My chickens have quite the ability to redecorate their coop.

5. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    I decided to order a couple of galvanized pans from Bass for my poop board. I'm going to fill them with Sweet PDZ.

6. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I love my poop board. The clean up and smell has improved drastically. Should have made one when I was building the coop.

Metal pans work too... Anything to catch the night time stuff aids alot.

7. Mayerling

May 2, 2012
    Temecula, CA
    What is sweet pdz?

8. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    It is a product used to to help control ammonia and odours. It is retailed for horses, but is commonly used in chicken coops too.
    http://www.sweetpdz.com/

Can be purcahsed at TSC.

9. Mayerling

May 2, 2012
    Temecula, CA
    My hero! I hate the smell. The birds are my love. The only reason I put up with the stinken mess.

10. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    The pdz can run expensive if you have a large coop. However with the poop board having high enough sides it can minamize the waste of it.
    If you scoop the poop out daily with a 'cat litter scoop' cleaning should be a breeze.
    Depending on how your set up is, if you combine that with 'the deep litter method' things will start smller freshes immediatly.

If your coop is easy to clean, you will be more likely to do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by