My poor calf

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by boobooblueeyes, May 3, 2009.

1. boobooblueeyes

boobooblueeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Cut and Shoot, Texas
    I went out tonight to feed my animals and my bottle calf didn't come to eat, we started looking and found her laying in her hay. She wasn't dead but she was almost and we tried to get her up. We didn't know what to do and she died while we were trying to figure out what to do. Anyway, does anyone know if there is a place that does large animal necropsies in Texas. I have heard that A&M does chicken and small animal necropsies but do they do larger animals too? I would really like to know what happened to her, she has been doing really good and all of a sudden shes just dead. I can't believe it I am so sad and hurt. Thanks for any help yall can give. Bonny

2. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I can't help, but [​IMG]

3. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Sorry you lost a calf. I would call my vet first thing in the AM to get a name or number to take it to see exactly what happened so you can watch your other cattle to see if they end up sick also. She didn't bloat did she? She wasn't scouring? That is weird, I mean I know calf go downhill very quickley, but she was fine this morning and then dead tonight. Maybe she ate something she couldn't digest.

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I've had calves with pneumonia and no syptoms until found almost dead. But, it could be a wide variety of things. [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. boobooblueeyes

boobooblueeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Cut and Shoot, Texas
    When we tried to get her up her belly felt very hard, but I never thought that bloat could kill so fast, is that possible? My other thought was that she must have eaten something wrong, I'm just not sure. Thanks all of you for your help and your simpathy. She was the only calf I had so I don't have to worry about any others getting sick, but that makes it hurt that much more. Anyway, thanks again to all. Bonny

6. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Bloat can kill fast.

Quote:Bloating needs to be reduced or it can kill the animal. Walking, a bloat meds (or soapy water), putting a tube down their throat to release the air are various common ways to handle bloat. You can feed hi magnesium mineral so help prevent bloat when turning out onto pasture especially, wheat, rye, and clover. Start it 3 weeks in advance. Also turn them out with a full stomach of what they are use to so they don't over eat on the green stuff.

7. MissJames

MissJames Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    Quote:I am so sorry.I know it hurts. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by