My poor Cayuga Baby!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Born A Duck Lover, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Born A Duck Lover

Born A Duck Lover Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    Western Oregon
    Well, I came home a little later than I intended to last evening, and am so irritated that I did![​IMG] As I was rounding up the ducks to put them away for the night, I saw a dark lump in the corner of the field. I went over to it with some misgivings and discovered that my sweet Cayuga boy had been attacked by something. He was barely alive, and, since there wasn't anything to be done, I held him as he died [​IMG]. The "funeral" is to be held today; he will be buried in the ducky graveyard with those unfortunate others who have all seen bobcats at one time or another.[​IMG]

It's sad because the little Buff friend he grew up with was looking all over for him today. He really misses his buddy.[​IMG]

Although this has been a depressing occurrence, I am getting 11 more ducklings from Metzer Farms. Whoo boy! Seems I can't figure out whether to be happy or sad![​IMG] I think I'll go with sad until the ducklings actually arrive.

2. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

sorry ... I dread the day something happens to one of my babies... these are my first ducks.... it breaks my heart when I hear sad stories... uggghhh [​IMG] getting new babies is something to look forward too [​IMG]

3. noriko

noriko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    N E Pennsylvania
    I'm so sorry to hear about your Cayuga duckling [​IMG] Good luck & enjoy with your new duckling. 11....that's a lot of ducklings!

4. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Oh, that's terrible! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    We have a ducky (and chicken) graveyard too - I go to the garden store and pick out a perennial flower or shrub to plant when I bury each one. So I guess it's more of a memorial garden. It always makes me feel better to look at it. [​IMG]

What breeds are you getting in your new order? At least another Cayuga I hope!

5. Born A Duck Lover

Born A Duck Lover Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    Western Oregon
    Annarie wrote:
    What breeds are you getting in your new order? At least another Cayuga I hope!

Oh, yes, definitely a Cayuga! I decided to go all out as far as breeds go; I'm getting a Cayuga, a Buff, a White Crested, a Welsh Harlequin, a Golden 300 Hybrid, a White Layer, a Khaki Campbell, a Fawn & White Runner, and three Jumbo Pekins! Whee! [​IMG] I like variety, and I hardly ever order ducklings anyway. I needed some more girls for my flock since the ducklings I get from the feed store almost always turn out to be boys, so all the ducklings in my order are girls except one of the Jumbo Pekins. I am hoping to eventually hatch my own Jumbos.​

6. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:Oh, yes, definitely a Cayuga! I decided to go all out as far as breeds go; I'm getting a Cayuga, a Buff, a White Crested, a Welsh Harlequin, a Golden 300 Hybrid, a White Layer, a Khaki Campbell, a Fawn & White Runner, and three Jumbo Pekins! Whee! [​IMG] I like variety, and I hardly ever order ducklings anyway. I needed some more girls for my flock since the ducklings I get from the feed store almost always turn out to be boys, so all the ducklings in my order are girls except one of the Jumbo Pekins. I am hoping to eventually hatch my own Jumbos.

Gotta love those Jumbos! [​IMG]

I have one I "rescued" from a farm that had 8 drakes to 3 ducks (I took all 3 ducks, they were 2 Khaki's and the Jumbo Pekin)! Just be sure they get enough niacin as ducklings, they're prone to leg problems because of their rapid growth and their massive weight. I give my old gal (she's 6 now) a kelp-meal supplement for the arthritis she's developed, which has helped her out alot. I don't think she was fed properly as a duckling. She has more character than any of my other ducks though, she's the whole family's favorite!

[​IMG]

Anyways, good luck with the new babies! I hope they all arrive happy and healthy! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by