My poor Chickens are Dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ruthiesromeo, Oct 29, 2013.

1. ruthiesromeo

ruthiesromeo New Egg

Oct 29, 2013
    Please could anyone help.
    My chickens are dying at a alarming rate.
    Chickens are various ages. They have roam of 6 acres and large coop at night, access to fresh water and food at all times.
    When they become ill I will find them hunched and fluffy. Within 3 days they are dead. They look fine up to that point, nice feathers, happily eating and acting normal.
    We have now lost 12 birds over a 6 week period. What could this be? Please help!

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Sounds like Coccidiosis. Cocci is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract,some symptoms are: runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which of the 11 strains it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,weight loss,not eating/drinking. If symptoms match,purchase Corid(Amprolium)may also be called Amprol(amprolium) depending on where you live. Can be purchased at most feed stores in the cattle section(may or may not say for poultry,but it is safe for poultry)if you live in Canada,you have to purchase from a vet. Dose for Corid/Amprol 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid/Amprol 20% powder is 1 tsp per gallon of water. Treat ALL chickens for 5-7 days,make sure this is the only drinking water they have available. DO NOT give vitamins during treatment(they interfere with the ability of medication to work)give vitamins after treatment is complete(nutri drench or similar product). Cocci kills very fast,but is easily controlled with medication. Most birds have some cocci in their sml intestines,only becomes a problem if they have an overload/outbreak then we medicate to bring it back under control.

Note: Birds have to drink the medicated water in order for it to work,you can also add warm medicated water to feed(so it resembles oatmeal)if you are concerned birds are not drinking properly.

3. ruthiesromeo

ruthiesromeo New Egg

Oct 29, 2013
    Thanks for that yes i did think cocci from doing some search's on line. I have purchased Coxiod from a local murchant which I have stated them on today.
    I hope this helps

4. Chickery Chick

Chickery Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    The dose amounts i have given in previous post pertaining to Corid/Amprolium are not valid with Coxide 3.84%,i am sure you already realize this,follow the dosage information listed on product.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by