1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My poor chickens :(

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Southern28Chick, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    103 degrees today!!!! WITH a heat index of 110!!!! I've been outside about 10 times already spraying the poor chickens.

2. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    [​IMG] thats todays low

3. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    Yeah but you folks don't have the 70% humidity!!

4. dakinsmimi

dakinsmimi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2007
    Mississippi
    SouthernChick

Do yours freak out when you spray them? My grown ones seem to like it but the 10-12 week olds act like they are scared to death of the water. Maybe I just have some crazy chickens!!

5. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Quote:Yea...but it's a dry heat...[​IMG]

6. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    I'm afraid to go home, since I lost one yesterday to the heat. I work an hour away and there's no way I can be there to spray them. Mine like to pick at the soft cool ground after I've sprayed it. I just hope there all ok when I get there. It's 101 here today. Yuck!

7. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I just tried spraying mine and they all ran like it was acid or something! Even the ducks!!!! I just keep putting ice cubes in their water and the duck's pool. Hopefully, they'll be able to stand it for one more day. That's how long the weatherman said it's going to last and...this weekend is supposed to be significantly cooler!!! Woo hoooooo! Hang in there everybody. [​IMG]

8. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Quote:It's only 98 here in the foothills...I am leaving mine alone and they are sleeping under the coop. The dirt is moist and cool. I was going to fence it off but may leave it open for such occasions. I'm just scared they will start to lay under there and I really don't want to have to crawl under the coop every day to collect the eggs.

9. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    Mine are about 12 weeks old and they HATE the mist. They run to the opposite side of the run and crowd underneath the egg box. Every now and then one will stick her head out, feel the moisture, and jump back in.

10. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    90 & sunny here with 99.9% humidity. Chickies are ok.
    Just gave them some watermellon to munch on and lots
    of cool water. I envy them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by